damaged appletalk?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
a friend of mine give me a ibook to "look into" because it couldn't connect to the his lan anymore.

it worked fine and all of a sudden...

the tool: ibook 600mhz/mac os 10.1.5

the network: 100 base-t ethernet

the server: macos x server

the problems:

-no servers in "local network"

-if i try to "connect with server" i only see "local network" and don't get "appletalk network" (although appletalk is activated)

-ibook network settings are ok (tried network setting of client that works)

-cables are ok (changed them with cables that work)

-servers up (other clients can access)

is my appletalk damaged?

i never had something like this before.

if yes, how can i fix it? (without doing a clean install of the hole system?)

help please?

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: peve ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to Genius Bar...

J :cool:

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: Jamie ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I've had the same problem! In the network preferences, choose Active Network Ports in the Show menu. Drag Built-in Ethernet so that it is first in the list. This way OSX will check the ethernet port first after waking up or after a restart. Maybe unchecking all other unused ports will help as well (i only have Built-in Ethernet on). After I did that I got access to the network. My problem now is that when I click on any of the available servers I get a message that the server doesn't exist! There's no problem in connecting to another Mac but with the Windows servers there is. And logging onto the intranet (through IE) is not possible (my password is not accepted) although it works fine in OS9..! Can anyone help there?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    I too have had a bad time with this issue. what I usually have to do is manually input all info for the server and or computer that I am trying to connect to since it does not show up in the list. And even then it doesn't always work. So I guess this is not a lot of help.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    [quote]Originally posted by ijerry:

<strong>I too have had a bad time with this issue. what I usually have to do is manually input all info for the server and or computer that I am trying to connect to since it does not show up in the list. And even then it doesn't always work. So I guess this is not a lot of help.</strong><hr></blockquote>

have you tried making an alias of the mouted server and doubleclicking that alias to access your server?

normaly this way you will be only prompted to input your username and password.