Find My iPhone Tips

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I lost my phone today. 64GB iPhone 4s.

Through sheer luck I got it back, though not without some help from the Find My iPhone app.

Some tips:

Forget about battery life. Leave WiFi on at all times. When there's no GPS access and wifi is off, accuracy using 3G triangulation is absolutely terrible. Plug in when you can or bring a spare external battery if you tend to run out by the end of the day.

Send a threatening message that the police are coming to arrest the thief unless they turn the phone in. Send your secondary contact details including email address and offer a cash reward for the phone.

I think it's the threatening message that worked for me this time. The phone was taken away from the shop where it disappeared, then brought back and hidden under a chair where I wasn't even sitting.

In the end I know I'm damn lucky to not be out seven hundred bucks, but WiFi is now my friend.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I lost my phone today. 64GB iPhone 4s.

Through sheer luck I got it back, though not without some help from the Find My iPhone app.

Some tips:

Forget about battery life. Leave WiFi on at all times. When there's no GPS access and wifi is off, accuracy using 3G triangulation is absolutely terrible. Plug in when you can or bring a spare external battery if you tend to run out by the end of the day.

Send a threatening message that the police are coming to arrest the thief unless they turn the phone in. Send your secondary contact details including email address and offer a cash reward for the phone.

I think it's the threatening message that worked for me this time. The phone was taken away from the shop where it disappeared, then brought back and hidden under a chair where I wasn't even sitting.

In the end I know I'm damn lucky to not be out seven hundred bucks, but WiFi is now my friend.

That's amazing that you got it back. I guess you finally traded in the T9/iPod combo you used to mention.

It's a little sad that people in this particular forum only reply to automated slaves. As for the phone, I can see you decided to go big or go home on the size so yeah, that would have been expensive to replace.

Congrats on using tech plus social engineering to get the phone back!