frying a Pismo motherboard... and it still works?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So we finally did it. The little break in the back of our powercord mixed with some shitty backyard engineering managed to fry our powerbook. Upon insertion of said powercord there was a smell of ozone and the machine would no longer charge. It works fine on battery, but we cant charge the batterys. So we take it to our local apple authorized dealer (who I cant stand, I always feel like they're trying to scam me) who takes it apart thinking its the powerboard and calls up to tell us that instead of this $200 powerboard its the $600 motherboard (or "logic board"). They say that a part of the motherboard has fried.

Personally I dont see how a single part of the motherboard fried without taking the rest of it down, and it also seems odd that the powerboard is completley unaffected. However I will hapilly admit that I know jack squat about lap top hardware, so Im going to ask you guys.

1. Does this sound right? This is all feasible right?

2. What questions should I throw at the technician when I go in to check it out.

[ 07-14-2002: Message edited by: The Toolboi ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Truthfully, I don't know. But the advice I'd give is sell the laptop for parts and buy a new iBook. You can get one for $800 or so on ebay. I just can't see repairing that. I had a wallstreet cook on me (similarly, but not quite the same) and when I bought another powerboard, replaced it, and put the thing back together it wouldn't come on. I had to send it to AIS and it cost the university $250 to have it fixed. (looks sheepish). Now I leave the 'really hard' jobs to the AIS folks or simply upgrade as a replacement. Good luck!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    I'll sell you my pismo for $800, but I'll tell you ahead of time. The dvd in it is messed up...i guess it was common on some pismos. That way i could get one of them there ibooks
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Ya, Im thinking of grabbing a used Pismo or iBook, or possible a headless pismo for parts, off of ebay.

Any one else know about the tech stuff though? Ive got this strange itch telling me that these people are trying to charge me for more than they should...