Spoofing MAC address?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is it possible? I've got a real piece of junk in my office as a computer (my newton has a faster proc) and I want to use my powerbook instead of it. Problem is, I can't get on the network with it because they don't 'support personal computers.' Plus, it's a Mac and they IT guy knows NOTHING about Macs (he said: "do you have broadband at home?" in response to a question about getting it on the network. I said yes. Then he said "well, that's a problem because Macs can't be setup to connect with more than one network. Well, you can, but it's a lot of work." I guess he hasn't seen OS X or anything from Location manager onwards then. But I digress...)

So my question is: can I make my powerbooks MAC address look like my P.O.S's? That is without ruining my computer in the process. TIA.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    the only way i know to do it is to get an external NAT for about $60, then it can spoof your MAC to be whatever you want. other than that, there's probably some terminal hack you can run that will do it, but i'd be hesitant.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 2 of 3
    pastapasta Posts: 112member
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>Is it possible? I've got a real piece of junk in my office as a computer (my newton has a faster proc) and I want to use my powerbook instead of it. Problem is, I can't get on the network with it because they don't 'support personal computers.' Plus, it's a Mac and they IT guy knows NOTHING about Macs (he said: "do you have broadband at home?" in response to a question about getting it on the network. I said yes. Then he said "well, that's a problem because Macs can't be setup to connect with more than one network. Well, you can, but it's a lot of work." I guess he hasn't seen OS X or anything from Location manager onwards then. But I digress...)

So my question is: can I make my powerbooks MAC address look like my P.O.S's? That is without ruining my computer in the process. TIA.</strong><hr></blockquote>

When you say they don't support personal computers, do you mean you're not allowed to hook up your personal computer, or they just won't help you with it? If it's the second, then that's not a problem, you don't need their help to network a mac. Personally, if I were you, I'd bypass the IT department and talk to someone with some real pull and tell them your situation. There's no reason why you shouldn't be allowed to use your personal computer if it'll make you more productive, especially when it won't cost the company. Plus you can bring to upper management's attention the lack of technical ability your IT department seems to be exhibiting.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Well, by don't support, I mean that they will not give me an IP address for my computer, hence the desire to spoof the MAC address. Why, I don't know. But, it's all a moot point anyway, because their DHCP server is apparently very generous and doesn't require my MAC to be registered . I'm just gonna be happy that I can actually use a real computer at work. Thanks for the suggestions...