iMac DV RAM maximum

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I had some bad RAM that was causing bus errors. So it's time to replace one DIMM.

Apple's online tech specs for my iMac DV 400 say maximum RAM is 512 MB (two 256 modules). But I have a the original 128MB chip and a new 512MB chip.

If I install these both, for a total of 640MB, will iMac be OK with it? It's been through alot, and I don't want to aggravate it more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    pastapasta Posts: 112member
    [quote]Originally posted by josephg:

<strong>I had some bad RAM that was causing bus errors. So it's time to replace one DIMM.

Apple's online tech specs for my iMac DV 400 say maximum RAM is 512 MB (two 256 modules). But I have a the original 128MB chip and a new 512MB chip.

If I install these both, for a total of 640MB, will iMac be OK with it? It's been through alot, and I don't want to aggravate it more.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's often the case where Apple's tech specs for RAM are inaccurate, simply because at the time of writing the larger modules weren't on the market. If you already have the chips, pop them in and see, it won't hurt. In fact, checking Kingston's web site, they list the maximum RAM for the iMac DV as 1GB, so you should be fine.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    josephgjosephg Posts: 111member
    Thanks, pasta,

That's what the a Genius at AppleSoHo told me. I popped it in, works just fine...

But now the modem's not responding again...I don't think it was secured properly when I had it reseated...it never ends with this iMac.

Anyway, thanks,

Joseph