2012 mbp vs mba

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
are people picking mbp over mba in 2012. in my opinion the 13 inch mba is apples best 13 inch laptop. apple does not release sales breakdown, are people buying mba over mbp? would you still pick a 15 mbp over mba? ssd and no optical make mba very attractive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timr100 View Post

are people picking mbp over mba in 2012. in my opinion the 13 inch mba is apples best 13 inch laptop. apple does not release sales breakdown, are people buying mba over mbp? would you still pick a 15 mbp over mba? ssd and no optical make mba very attractive.

I picked up a 13" MacBook Pro just after Christmas. I went for the Pro over the Air for the extra ports, upgradable RAM and the fact that I can swap out the superdrive for an SSD.

I already have a 27" iMac with Lion on it but I never used full screen apps as there is no need with all of the desktop space on the 27". Been using full screen apps extensively on the MacBook Pro and am loving it. Just hoping Microsoft get full screen mode built into Outlook sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timr100 View Post

i think that really depending on how you use it. if i am using for development i will get the mbp but if its for web surfing then it doesn't matter
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mactrotown View Post

i think that really depending on how you use it. if i am using for development i will get the mbp but if its for web surfing then it doesn't matter

I must agree with mactrotown. It depends on what your needs are. I have access to use any of the current generation Apple Laptops at my work and the one that I use the most is the 13" MBA because it seems to have the right combination of power, screen size, battery life and portability. I also have a 27" iMac that was maxed out (gotta love my boss!) so if I need processing power I have that.

I liked the 11" MBA but the bigger screen and larger battery of the 13" MBA won me over. My wife loves her 11" MBA and wound't trade it for anything else.

The MacBook Pro's are more expandable & upgradable than the Airs are but some people never upgrade so it all depends on the user and what they have and need/want. The MBA might also be more appealing if the users has a iMac or Mac Mini at home that they will keep using as their main computer and the MBA as a portable second computer (not their main computer).

If I had to pick one to use as my only computer I might look at the 15" MBP because of the dedicated graphics and quad-core cpu with an acceptable weight trade off. If I had to pick a portable that would be used in conjunction with my Mac Mini Server at my house then the 13" MBA would be more tempting.

Just some food for thought and my 2 cents.