Apple posts full video of iBooks 2 education event

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

The full video of Apple's education-centric event on Thursday, at which it unveiled iBooks 2, iBooks Author and iTunes U for iPad, is now available to stream online.

The full video of the event can be seen at Apple's website. It requires Safari 4 or 5 on Mac OS X Snow Leopard or Lion, Safari on iOS 3 or later, or QuickTime 7 on Windows.

Thursday's event featured Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president for Worldwide Product Marketing, as well as Roger Rosner, vice president for Productivity Software. The keynote was held at New York City's Guggenheim Museum, and it clocked in at just under one hour.

The event was the official unveiling of iBooks 2 for iPad, which Apple has pitched as a new platform for textbooks in schools. The presentation included a live demonstration of new textbooks made for the iBooks 2 software.

Apple's textbook initiative already has the support of major publishers like McGraw Hill, Pearson and DK Publishing. The digital books are also much less expensive than their print counterparts, at prices of $14.99 or less.

Apple has also made it easier to create digital books for iOS with its new, free iBooks Author software for Mac OS X. With it, basic Microsoft Word files can even be automatically converted into an iBook file that can be sold on the iBookstore.

Also on Thursday, Apple unveiled the new iTunes U application for iPad. This free software allows college students to view course materials, receive updates from their teachers, and even sign up for classes.

Coinciding with those software releases, Apple also issued iTunes 10.5.3, which allows users of iBooks to to sync their textbook purchases with iTunes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44

If you look at the iPad at 42:39 into the video -- it shows a iPad held in portrait mode with a connector on the long side -- and there doesn't appear to be any home button.

• Reply 2 of 44
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    School boards don't have any money.

Text Books are 1/32 the cost and last 32x longer then an iPad in the hands of kids would.

Schools can't afford art teachers or janitors anymore - so how are they going to pay for technical support on iPads? Are they going to purchase new iPads every 2 or 3 years when the batteries start to fail or the OS is no longer supported?

Then lets look at the environmental impact... paper is a renewable resource and biodegradable.

iPads, as cool as they are - are the scourge and a blight upon the earth. They are made of poisons and limited resources.

On the economic front - paper is made in America and the books are printed by Americans in America. This means jobs.

iPads are made in China by Chinese.

Anyways, it doesn't matter as this program is dead in the water... schools in California are shutting down buses, firing teachers and cramming classrooms... doubt they are going to throw money at iPads.

This program is complete garbage and a telling sign that Apple has lost touch with economic reality.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Text Books are 1/32 the cost and last 32x longer then an iPad in the hands of kids would.

Schools can't afford art teachers or janitors anymore - so how are they going to pay for technical support on iPads? Are they going to purchase new iPads every 2 or 3 years when the batteries start to fail or the OS is no longer supported?

Then lets look at the environmental impact... paper is a renewable resource and biodegradable.

iPads, as cool as they are - are the scourge and a blight upon the earth. They are made of poisons and limited resources.

On the economic front - paper is made in America and the books are printed by Americans in America. This means jobs.

Anyways, it doesn't matter as this program is dead in the water... schools in California are shutting down buses, firing teachers and cramming classrooms... doubt they are going to throw money at iPads.

This program is complete garbage and a telling sign that Apple has lost touch with economic reality.

I'm a little more optimistic.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

If you look at the iPad at 42:39 into the video -- it shows a iPad held in portrait mode with a connector on the long side -- and there doesn't appear to be any home button.

& it looks a tad thicker too
  • Reply 5 of 44
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I tried the app on my iPad 2 and it wasn't as fluid as in the videos. That could be the iPad 3.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'm a little more optimistic.

You shouldn't be.

It's a lose lose lose win lose situation, with everyone and everything losing except for Apple investors... who will also eventually lose.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Quote:

To be perfectly honest, I believe the education system we have is broken. School pay an in ordinant amount of money busing students. My wife worked for a school district having money woes. I was shocked that they spent 100 million dollars on transportation alone! That's money going mostly overseas to big oil.

The books themselves are very reasonable. That's about a quarter of a textbook wholesale. The issue then is the iPad, yet schools have no issue buying new PCs every year? Maybe instead of wasting money on IT budgets for antiquated hardware, you put that into an iPad which will come down in price here shortly to about $300-$400. Mac hardware lasts much longer than 2-3 years. My original iPad keeps an amazing charge and is 2 years old.

The production of paper and the printing process is VERY TOXIC. I know we can say that paper is biodegradable, but many inks are non-organics and the paper is coated to last longer which inhibits it's biodegradability. That's why a lot of recycling companies don't take coated paper products.

In addition, have you seen the size of student school bags lately? We had to get my daughter a bog with a handle so she could move the thing. With all the books and computer and everything, it must way 30-40 lbs. The strap broken after two weeks of use!

So the education system is going to need to change with the times. If we can't afford public education as a society, we need to come up with a more economical way. We can hardly protect our children from abuse and violence in our school. I see smaller, co-located schools... a merger of cyber school and home groups where the digital textbook can immerse children in their subjects. It's more cost effective and higher or equal quality. Apple isn't interested in the past. Apple is interested in the future.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

& it looks a tad thicker too

• Reply 9 of 44
    Quote:

Interesting. How long have you been minister of education?
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Quote:

Have you actually checked books at a college book store lately? Didn't think so.

Quote:

People require retirement and health benefits. Material does not. Always short term money available for that stuff. Sadly.

Quote:

Then lets look at the environmental impact... paper is a renewable resource and biodegradable. iPads, as cool as they are - are the scourge and a blight upon the earth. They are made of poisons and limited resources.

iPads are about 95 % fully recyclable, glass, aluminum, etc. Just a thought,

Quote:

On the economic front - paper is made in America and the books are printed by Americans in America. This means jobs. iPads are made in China by Chinese.

The e-books are designed and build here in America. The design of iPads happens here in America.

Quote:

Anyways, it doesn't matter as this program is dead in the water... schools in California are shutting down buses, firing teachers and cramming classrooms... doubt they are going to throw money at iPads.This program is complete garbage and a telling sign that Apple has lost touch with economic reality.

The tea party is waiting for you, all 12 of them. :-) Again, product is cheaper than people, sadly. And universities have been using iTunes University to help people take classes remotely, there by saving gas and making the classes widely available.

Dude, Ballmer is calling. Your fees are in question cause you do not break enough chairs... Just a thought. :-)
  • Reply 11 of 44
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Kids are dumber than ever. Simple math and spelling is something that is completely foreign to many of them. I see far too many dumbass kids walking around all of the time. It's a miracle if half of them are able to tie their own shoelaces. It makes you wonder what sort of terrible parents these kids have.

I just saw the Apple presentation stream and it seems like a pretty big thing for education if you ask me. The new iTunes U courses also seemed pretty cool. There is basically no excuse for anybody to be stupid anymore. The textbooks were cheap and most other things are free.

I also liked how basically anybody can make their own interactive book if they want to now.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Where do you get these figures that a printed textbooks are 1,024x more economical than a textbooks on an iPad.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    I wonder why the Preview on iPad from the iBook Author app has to have a wire connecting the Mac and iPad and doesn't work wirelessly.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I wonder why the Preview on iPad from the iBook Author app has to have a wire connecting the Mac and iPad and doesn't work wirelessly.

Maybe because the files are likely huge or it might just be something they haven't added to the iBooks app at this point, but I'm leaning toward the first answer.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Interesting. How long have you been minister of education?

He was recently demoted from obergruppenführer.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Maybe because the files are likely huge or it might just be something they haven't added to the iBooks app at this point, but I'm leaning toward the first answer.

I hope the latter. I can see the size thing but given one can download Lion from Apple wirelessly it could cope with a reasonable size. An option would be nice, it could always tell you after looking at the data it would recommend using the wire <This preview will take 3 minutes over .11n do you wish to proceed or connect directly?> and letting you connect but if you are happy to wait then to go ahead wirelessly.

BTW I was just playing with the iBook Author running it on my iPad (with Splashtop), it works very well.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:

Schools can't afford art teachers or janitors anymore - so how are they going to pay for technical support on iPads? Are they going to purchase new iPads every 2 or 3 years when the batteries start to fail or the OS is no longer supported?...

Don't know about the rest but you're wrong about the above. The average textbook is $80. Most students take 6 classes a day, so $480 a year. If the iPad lasts 3 years and the digital textbooks are around $15, seems to me the school district would be coming out way ahead. Not to mention engaging students and opening up the rest of the Interwebs to teacher and student use in the classroom.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Quote:

You shouldn't be.

It's a lose lose lose win lose situation, with everyone and everything losing except for Apple investors... who will also eventually lose.

How can I politely say ... BS ... ?

Let's hope this helps raise educational levels so greatly it's a win win win.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Where do you get these figures that a printed textbooks are 1,024x more economical than a textbooks on an iPad.

From the Google disinformation bureau while they feverishly try to duplicate everything then announce the opposite.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

Good catch! It looks also to be aluminium-colored on the front, but that could be the angle. Does the edge look like a iPad 2? I only have the original at hand.