.mac "Check Other POP Mail" problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm trying to use .mac to check another non-.mac POP account, but I keep getting the error message "There was an error during the import". The same old e-mail messages, from about two weeks ago, keep getting re-read before the error occurs, although not the same number of old messages each time.

I never used mac.com e-mail before, but I decided to cough up the $49/year to keep my iDisk and get the anti-virus software. (The jury is still out to see .mac will be worth $99 to renew.)

Since my usual POP e-mail doesn't have web access, I hoped to get some more value out of the .mac service by getting a web-based way to check my main e-mail. So far, it hasn't been very successful.

I can read this same e-mail through Mozilla on my Mac and Outlook Express on my PC without any problems, so I know it's not a general server problem.

By the way, does anyone know if .mac leaves messages on the mail server after reading them, or if it deletes them? Since I read my POP e-mail from a number of different places, I always set up e-mail programs to leave messages on the server for up to 30 days. Since .mac doesn't clearly show any such option, I'm not sure what it does by default.