3D Games crashing on iMac DVs with OS X

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all,

I have been having trouble with anything 3D on my iMac, and I believe it is a specific problem with iMacs with Rage 128 cards and I would love for anyone else experiencing problems to share their knowledge - I know others have had this problem and it seems to be entirely specific to iMacs with the Rage128 running OS X.

The basic problem is that, under OS X, using any OpenGL software will totally crash the machine after a short period of use. Despite being on OS X, you can't get out of it without force restarting, and the problem is simply non-existent in OS 9 on the same machine.

What is going on? It basically makes my machine completely useless for games! Who else has seen this problem, or does anyone else have any ideas as to how this problem could be fixed?

Btw, my specs are : iMac DV 400Mhz Grape, OS X 10.1.5, 384Mb RAM, 10Gb HD, DVD Slot-Loading.

Anyone's help is appreciated! Please!

kewl.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    pastapasta Posts: 112member
    [quote]Originally posted by kewl:

<strong>Hi all,

I have been having trouble with anything 3D on my iMac, and I believe it is a specific problem with iMacs with Rage 128 cards and I would love for anyone else experiencing problems to share their knowledge - I know others have had this problem and it seems to be entirely specific to iMacs with the Rage128 running OS X.

The basic problem is that, under OS X, using any OpenGL software will totally crash the machine after a short period of use. Despite being on OS X, you can't get out of it without force restarting, and the problem is simply non-existent in OS 9 on the same machine.

What is going on? It basically makes my machine completely useless for games! Who else has seen this problem, or does anyone else have any ideas as to how this problem could be fixed?

Btw, my specs are : iMac DV 400Mhz Grape, OS X 10.1.5, 384Mb RAM, 10Gb HD, DVD Slot-Loading.

Anyone's help is appreciated! Please!

kewl.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have the same model, also with 384MB, and haven't had any problems with my games. Which games are giving you a problem?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    kewlkewl Posts: 3member
    To name but a few....

- Quake 3 (dies in OS X native, and through Classic, but it's fine when booted into OS 9)

- Harry Potter (ditto)

- Warcraft III (ditto)

- Cro-Mag Rally (ditto)

What can be going on? It's interesting that you don't have the problem... I know others have had it... I'd love to figure this out.

The only problem is, I can't for the life of me think of anything in X that could be causing problems - perhaps something like Nortons? Apart from that, my OS X 10.1.5 is just like any other!

Just as a side note, perhaps Jaguar will fix my woes... But in the mean time, does anyone have any hunches?

Thanks as always....

kewl