Apple reclaims title of world's largest smartphone maker after blowout quarter

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014


Apple overtook Samsung in the fourth quarter of 2011 to grab the top spot among global smartphone makers, earning 23.9 percent of the market with sales of 37 million iPhones, according to one set of estimates.



Shortly after rival Samsung officially reported its quarterly results on Thursday, market research firm Strategy Analytics released a report proclaiming Apple the victor in the latest round of the smartphone wars. Apple's win was supported by just a narrow lead, however, as Samsung shipped an estimated 36.5 million units worldwide in the fourth quarter.



The South Korean consumer electronics maker declined to say how many smartphones it shipped last quarter, but it did note 30 percent growth, roughly in line with analyst expectations. As such, Samsung managed to capture its first crown for annual smartphone shipments with an estimated 97.4 million units, compared to Apple's 93 million iPhones in 2011.



"With global smartphone shipments nearing half a billion units in 2011, Samsung is now well positioned alongside Apple in a two-horse race at the forefront of one of the world’s largest and most valuable consumer electronics markets,” said Strategy Analytics Executive Director Neil Mawston.



Nokia took third place with estimated quarterly shipments of 19.6 million, enough for a 12.6 percent market share. The Finnish handset maker has seen its market share plunge during its transition from Symbian to Windows Phone. In the year ago quarter, Nokia shipped 28.3 million smartphones.







Numbers are rounded. | Source: Strategy Analytics







Total smartphone shipments for the quarter grew 55 percent year over year to reach a record 155 million, while annual shipments were an estimated 488.5 million units.



Apple first took the top spot among worldwide smartphone makers last June, but without its usual iPhone refresh last summer, it conceded the title to Samsung in the third quarter.



The Cupertino, Calif., company more than made up for the September quarter when it announced on Tuesday impressive results for the December quarter. Apple reported record quarterly revenue of $46.33 billion and profits of $13.06 billion, driven largely by sales of 37.04 million iPhones.



As Apple and Samsung have become the new smartphone powerhouses, their rivalry has extended to the courtroom. The two are locked in a complicated legal battle with multiple complaints spanning several different countries.

«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 40
    Too bad they discuss shipments vs sell through.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Baloney.. Samsung refuses to say how many they sold, yet you accept a made up figure from analysts. This is classic, taken from Bezos playbook. If you were fair, you would refuse to put up numbers that. Cannot be verified. Two months ago the estimate was 35 million Samsung smartphones. A month ago it jumped to 35 million when it seemed apple may report slightly over 30. Now it is 36.5?



    Are you deliberately lying? Look at the transcript on seeking alpha for Verizon. VZ clearly states that they sold 4.3 million iPhones and 1.4 million 4g smartphones. iPhone's make up 70 percent (4.3 / (4.3 + 1.4). On att apple had 80 percent. Where are these 36.5 million. Baloney and you are shameless repeating a lie.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fjose1929 View Post


    Baloney.. Samsung refuses to say how many they sold, yet you accept a made up figure from analysts. This is classic, taken from Bezos playbook. If you were fair, you would refuse to put up numbers that. Cannot be verified. Two months ago the estimate was 35 million Samsung smartphones. A month ago it jumped to 35 million when it seemed apple may report slightly over 30. Now it is 36.5?



    Are you deliberately lying? Look at the transcript on seeking alpha for Verizon. VZ clearly states that they sold 4.3 million iPhones and 1.4 million 4g smartphones. iPhone's make up 70 percent (4.3 / (4.3 + 1.4). On att apple had 80 percent. Where are these 36.5 million. Baloney and you are shameless repeating a lie.



    This is the same post you made in another thread. So which is it?
  • Reply 4 of 40
    What is your point? Apple insider is repeating the same lie, and I aim to refute it every time .
  • Reply 5 of 40
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 988member
    This kind of news shouldn't matter. Nokia used to sell the most smartphones for years, look where that took them.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Samsung is growing fast, too bad they don't have the profits to support it. I expect Samsung to best Apple in stated units every quarter going forward but still languish far behind in actual profits.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fjose1929 View Post


    What is your point? Apple insider is repeating the same lie, and I aim to refute it every time .



    The point is it doesn't make sense and it's off topic. There is no reason for you to be bringing up Verizon in this thread at this time.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post


    This kind of news shouldn't matter. Nokia used to sell the most smartphones for years, look where that took them.



    Exactly. The article is based on an utterly irrelevant metric.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fjose1929 View Post


    Baloney.. Samsung refuses to say how many they sold, yet you accept a made up figure from analysts. This is classic, taken from Bezos playbook. If you were fair, you would refuse to put up numbers that. Cannot be verified. Two months ago the estimate was 35 million Samsung smartphones. A month ago it jumped to 35 million when it seemed apple may report slightly over 30. Now it is 36.5?



    Are you deliberately lying? Look at the transcript on seeking alpha for Verizon. VZ clearly states that they sold 4.3 million iPhones and 1.4 million 4g smartphones. iPhone's make up 70 percent (4.3 / (4.3 + 1.4). On att apple had 80 percent. Where are these 36.5 million. Baloney and you are shameless repeating a lie.



    It's a good point to ask where are all these phones. It appears the total US Android sales in Q4 were less than 5 million. Counting ALL manufacturers, not just Samsung. Either the Samsung estimate is way off or Apple international market share is substantially less than the US (by orders of magnitude)



    The Samsung numbers probably include the POS Bada crap. Samsung will whore themselves out to any OS. Next is Windows Mobile



    I think this research firm are morons, but glad AI is reporting what's being put out there
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Whoa. When I saw the headline "blowout quarter" I immediately assumed the article was written by DED. But then I remembered that DED would find a way to reference Android in the headline.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    More meaningless numbers. The media will get people thinking that Samsung is selling a mess of high-end smartphones like the Galaxy S II when in reality it will probably be more like Samsung selling millions of $50 Bada-based low-end smartphones. Next quarter it will be Samsung taking back the title because they're probably selling to all the third-world countries those low-end phones. Samsung would probably have to sell 3X the amount of smartphones that Apple does to make the profit that Apple makes. Good for Samsung that its business is doing well but it's mobile division is hardly in a position to go head to head with Apple. Apple will likely never produce low-end smartphones for anyone and personally, I'm glad they don't even consider it. Amazon's coming smartphone will probably go after that cheapskate market but I can't imagine them using a forked version of Android for that smartphone. If they do, then I really don't know what to say except "dayamn!".



    I suppose when iPhone 5 goes on sale, the iPhone 4 (8 GBs???) will take the 3GS's place as the low-end freebie smartphone and that should be a pretty good deal for those busting to use an iPhone on the cheap. Apple has the best marketing strategy ever by selling old smartphones since they hold their value pretty well and are just older high-quality devices. Three year-old devices that are still useful and run the latest iOS is a great deal for Apple and consumers.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Important word: "in the 4th quarter"



    Data proves that Apple hasnt broken the official title yet.



    Way to go AI with your skewed logic.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post


    It's a good point to ask where are all these phones. It appears the total US Android sales in Q4 were less than 5 million. Counting ALL manufacturers, not just Samsung. Either the Samsung estimate is way off or Apple international market share is substantially less than the US (by orders of magnitude)



    The Samsung numbers probably include the POS Bada crap. Samsung will whore themselves out to any OS. Next is Windows Mobile



    I think this research firm are morons, but glad AI is reporting what's being put out there



    I bet you havent even used a Bada phone or know what makes it tick.



    Dont knock it till you try it.



    It's in fact much more efficient than either iOS or Android as it uses native C++ code for development.



    You dont need to relearn another language for developers to jump over.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    My point is, given the sales of AT&T and VZ, there is no way samsungs sales of smartphones are anywhere near 15 million much less 36.5 million. The fraudsters are making it appear that Samsung is selling close to apple numbers. Baloney.



    If these carbon elements are fair, they should not make up numbers to prop up Samsung and instead demand that Samsung declare their unit numbers. This is plain baloney. Apple insider should not be reporting fairytales. They are pawns for the hedge funds. This the game Bezos plays and Samsung has been advised to go the same route. Bezos and Samsung can claim they never claimed those numbers.



    This is what the spirit of sarbanes oxley was all about, that everything was fully vetted. Apple insider, macnn, MDN, 9to5mac should be all above the likes of the shysters of CNBC.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fjose1929 View Post


    My point is, given the sales of AT&T and VZ, there is no way samsungs sales of smartphones are anywhere near 15 million much less 36.5 million. The fraudsters are making it appear that Samsung is selling close to apple numbers. Baloney.



    If these carbon elements are fair, they should not make up numbers to prop up Samsung and instead demand that Samsung declare their unit numbers. This is plain baloney. Apple insider should not be reporting fairytales. They are pawns for the hedge funds. This the game Bezos plays and Samsung has been advised to go the same route. Bezos and Samsung can claim they never claimed those numbers.



    This is what the spirit of sarbanes oxley was all about, that everything was fully vetted. Apple insider, macnn, MDN, 9to5mac should be all above the likes of the shysters of CNBC.



    On behalf of everyone....shut up.



    You're...annoying...and your ranting is really baseless because at the end of the day Apple is winning...you act as if Samsung having good quarters (and a nice profit) is bad for Apple.



    This isn't the NFL Playoffs...more than one team can succeed at a time.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    This is Amazing. Remember Samsung sell all kinds of smartphones, from premium to extremely cheap. A few months ago my friend wanted a new smartphone and iPhone ain't cheap enough for her (even a used 3GS is still too expensive). What did she get? A Samsung Galaxy something. It's amazing with this portfolio Samsung still can't be no.1.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    A lie is a lie is a lie.



    Remember what jobs said, "they are out to destroy the iPhone".



    Why do you want fictitious numbers? Why do you not demand that the likes of strategy analytics come up with proof on their data?



    Already, apple insider has another thread, repeating the strategy analytics divined stats. Almost remind one of the german propaganda machine under goebbels. What was it they said, repeat a lie often enough ...
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fjose1929 View Post


    A lie is a lie is a lie.



    Remember what jobs said, "they are out to destroy the iPhone".



    Why do you want fictitious numbers? Why do you not demand that the likes of strategy analytics come up with proof on their data?



    Already, apple insider has another thread, repeating the strategy analytics divined stats. Almost remind one of the german propaganda machine under goebbels. What was it they said, repeat a lie often enough ...



    Seems like this war on the iPhone was in Steve's head...as great a man as he was he was still a man, and thus often wrong...he was also vindictive, vengeful, rude, demeaning, didactic...pretty much at times a bad person (Depending on the side you are on) But he was also a great man, wise, intelligent, focused...driven...don't let one side cloud you of the other...he was one of the most well rounded individuals in the tech world...understood through and through. He hid nothing from anyone, and that was his charm.



    Point is he could be wrong.



    And logic, observation, etc...shows that Android is not out to destroy the iPhone, nor are any OEMs...don't be so guided by advertisement from Verizon, Motorola, and Samsung...all they are doing is competing...you know, that thing people do in the free market. Companies are allowed to compete with the iPhone...



    and yes, Samsung may have had Apple on a quarter or two...who gives a fuck.



    Apple = Premium devices...one model, select carriers (formerly), set price ranges throughout its cycle until an upgrade comes along (not always as some overseas - non US - carriers alter prices)



    Samsung = Premium through dirt cheap "OMG WTF IS THIS SHIT" devices...many models...all carriers...all price ranges...prices changing to lower prices throught a device cycle...



    With those facts it should be a shock Apple is even 1 or 2 on the list considering every Android OEM has the same song and dance (and thankfully they seem to be willing to change tune into a more premium less devices a year strategy many Fandroids have been asking for for years).



    Also Apple walks away with most of the profits in the entire category even besting Google's own Android when it comes to ad revenue.



    1, 2 or 3...Apple is winning...it is very very utterly clear.



    The fact that this upsets you that they aren't always king of a rather meaningless mountain proves you may have some issues to work out.



    Chill the fuck out.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,581member
    Samsung don't publish smartphone sales figures so Apple will always be top until proved otherwise.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    jack99jack99 Posts: 157member
    All this Samsung hate is just too funny to behold. Srsly. Try reviewing a real sport for once.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    jack99jack99 Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post


    This is Amazing. Remember Samsung sell all kinds of smartphones, from premium to extremely cheap. A few months ago my friend wanted a new smartphone and iPhone ain't cheap enough for her (even a used 3GS is still too expensive). What did she get? A Samsung Galaxy something. It's amazing with this portfolio Samsung still can't be no.1.







    Hmmm, I'm not so sure. Given that Samsung entered the market as late as 2010, I'm amazed they've come this far. Apple had since 2007. That's 3 more years for a total of 5 years. Also, notice how Samsung more than doubled its sales from 2010. Apple didn't get any such growth whatsoever. If anything, Apple just barely squeaked ahead. That's the equivalent of a pro sprinter with a midlife crisis just managing to beat a younger guy at a race who started training last week. With Samsung's phenomenal growth sales each year, Apple won't have an easy time staying on top.





    Of course, a successful lawsuit (if they can even get one) might do some wonders. But given their recent track record, I think Apple has bigger problems than just worrying about Samsung.





    Oh, and one last thing. We can keep on bleating the same, tired "sales vs shipments" line, but let's face the reality. New smartphone wholesalers and retailers aren't setting up shop everyday. Anyone who's worked in retail knows that store managers are likely to stock only what they at least believe they'll sell. With the way Samsung probably derived a good chunk of its 2011 sales from the same retailers that sold its phones in 2010, I think there's a very safe assumption most of its phones are selling out quite well. Unless, of course, we want to bake up a conspiracy about how Apple has begun setting up fake retailers that buy Samsung's phones so that it can trick Samsung into having a blowout year in 2012 only to set up Samsung for failure in 2013.



    But if we do that, we venture out of the realm of the probable and into the realm of the implausible.



Sign In or Register to comment.