where to get a monitor adapter

in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a bit of a need to hook up my AppleVision 17" to the VGA out on my powermac. However, one doesn't plug into the other...soooo, i need an adapter. I am wondering:

1) what is the name of the type of plug on the end of older apple monitors (two rows of pins)

2) what is a better name for the vga plug on the back of my PM (3 rows of pins)

3) where can i buy an adapter?


  • Reply 1 of 5
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    To my knowledge, VGA has only two rows of pins. At least on my PCs.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    pastapasta Posts: 112member
    [quote]Originally posted by pyr3:

    <strong>To my knowledge, VGA has only two rows of pins. At least on my PCs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

    Your PCs must be pretty old, because VGA has had 3 rows for, oh, the last decade at least.

    Anyway, the VGA connection with 3 rows is known as HD15, the Mac connection with 2 rows is known as DB15. There's several companies that make these adapters to go the other way (hook up a VGA monitor to an old style powermac) but the only one I know of going the way you want is made by Apple. They were actually included with the Powerbook G3 models, so you should be able to find one. If not, your nearest Apple authorized service center can order it.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    if you have trouble finding one, or they're pricey, send me an e-mail and let me know. i might be able to scrounge one up.

    pay for postage and i'll send it to you.

  • Reply 4 of 5
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Hehe, you're right ... I was recalling from memory and I'm pretty kinda wasted right now ... been at work too long =(
  • Reply 5 of 5
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    found one! only $8 so not too bad. got it at <a href="http://www.rogerssystems.com"; target="_blank">http://www.rogerssystems.com</a>;

    they have all kinds of crazy adapters.
Sign In or Register to comment.