Petition tells Apple: We want an 'ethical' iPhone 5

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Watchdog group SumOfUs last week put up a petition asking Apple to "make the iPhone 5 ethically," referring to the company's use of overseas manufacturing from companies such as Foxconn, which have recently come under fire for their working conditions and practices.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-57...ical-iphone-5/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Why would these guys be whining about the iPhone 4S? It's already being made…

I'm also getting a little sick of all this China crap directed at Apple and ONLY Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why would these guys be whining about the iPhone 4S? It's already being made?

I'm also getting a little sick of all this China crap directed at Apple and ONLY Apple.

This is starting to look like a campaign to discredit Apple.

It reminds me of the time a couple of years ago when it looked like GM was headed into bankruptcy... all of a sudden Toyota started to have recalls.

Hmmmm......
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

This is starting to look like a campaign to discredit Apple.

Funny how none of these things (this thing, the NYT article, etc.) came up until AFTER their most recent quarterly earnings statement.

HMM.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Funny how none of these things (this thing, the NYT article, etc.) came up until AFTER their most recent quarterly earnings statement.

HMM.

Timing is everything.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

Maybe consumers don't want anyone else's products. There could be a petition for an ethical Galaxy Chocolate Space Monkey or whatever they call the next one but it's not the industry benchmark, they won't know what it's called and they ship far less volume per unit than Apple. Samsung sells 30 smartphones running various operating systems:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/m...phones/viewall

yet they lump sales stats against Apple's 3 smartphones. Consumers don't have an easy target like they do with Apple.

Also, it won't matter about the petition. Rumor has it, there won't be an iPhone 5, ethical or otherwise, y'know given that it's the 6th model and all. [/can o' worms]