Problems with Safari-RAM hog and Youtube not working under Lion

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ever since I upgraded to Lion- I have had a terrible time with Safari suddenly hogging ALL my system RAM (I have a 4 gb laptop) to the point where nothing works- and I have to quit safari and then restart it. I also am unable to watch about 99% of the Youtube videos I come across- whether they are embedded in a site- or directly from youtube. I have neither of these problems under Chrome or FIrefox. I have reported these every time they occur to Apple- but so far none of the Lion updates have resolved the issue.

I am just an anomaly in the Mac ecosystem? Is anyone else experience this? If so, is there a fix that I'm missing?

My machine is a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.7.3

I have 4GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I use Activity Monitor to verify how much available RAM I have.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Safari 5.1.2 fixed the longstanding RAM problem… Strange that you'd still have it.

Do you have Flash installed? Don't. Instead try using Click2Flash set to load MP4 and see how that works.

Oh, what about your website previews? Turn those off. You can have GIGABYTES of preview images stored on your computer without you knowing. I turned them off the day after Safari 5.0 came out.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I couldn't find out where to turn web previews off- any guidance?

I don't know if I have Flash installed- how do I find out?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taylorman View Post

I couldn't find out where to turn web previews off- any guidance?

Yeah, you'll need to download the Secrets preference pane. It's under Safari.

Quote:

I don't know if I have Flash installed- how do I find out?

No idea. Probably go to a site with a Flash element and see if it loads. Really, though, you should uninstall it. Unless you play a lot of Flash games, there's zero reason to have it anymore, and even the games can be played directly on your computer (instead of in a browser) with the Flash Projector.

Click2Flash is in the Safari Extensions gallery on Apple.com.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Uninstalling Flash hasn't helped with Youtube.

I remember I've used Clicktoflash before.

I searched for this issue on Youtube's support site and someone from Youtube said to Get Info on Safari and turn on open in 32 bit. I did- and it still didn't work.

I don't know if I'm still having the RAM problems- since it can take up to an hour for it to happen before I have to restart Safari.

I"m reluctant to use the secret method until I understand what Web Preview actually does. - Any idea what it is?