B/W G3 dead?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've tried a lot of trouble shooting and i'm afraid it might be my hard drive, but my tower has stopped working.

It was running os 10.1.3 before. When I turn on the computer and before it hits the bootup mac os X panel, a bunch of white text shows up on the screen. It talks about memory location errors (i'm thinking bad sectors in the hard drive).

Then at the bottom it says waiting for remote debugger, press "r" to reboot "c" to continue. but pushing anything on the key board including force quiting does nothing. The only thing i can do is hold the power switch for a few seconds to turn off the computer or push the restart switch.

I've tried installing os 9.1 instead, but that fails like 80% in. Reinstalling os 10.1.3 didn't help either.

I'm wondering if anyone could tell me exactly what my problem is and if need be, where i can get a replacement hard drive for the tower

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Sounds like a kernel panic to me in OS X... Try resetting the PRAM, and pressing the CUDA button on your logic board (don't know where it is on the BW G3) and see if it works. I take it you can boot up with a boot cd? Try using a different OS 9 CD maybe? That or your hard drive really is gone...

You can get a hard drive from anywhere, check <a href="http://www.pricewatch.com"; target="_blank">www.pricewatch.com</a> for the cheapest prices.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    pastapasta Posts: 112member
    [quote]Originally posted by tennismac:

<strong>I've tried a lot of trouble shooting and i'm afraid it might be my hard drive, but my tower has stopped working.

It was running os 10.1.3 before. When I turn on the computer and before it hits the bootup mac os X panel, a bunch of white text shows up on the screen. It talks about memory location errors (i'm thinking bad sectors in the hard drive).

Then at the bottom it says waiting for remote debugger, press "r" to reboot "c" to continue. but pushing anything on the key board including force quiting does nothing. The only thing i can do is hold the power switch for a few seconds to turn off the computer or push the restart switch.

I've tried installing os 9.1 instead, but that fails like 80% in. Reinstalling os 10.1.3 didn't help either.

I'm wondering if anyone could tell me exactly what my problem is and if need be, where i can get a replacement hard drive for the tower</strong><hr></blockquote>

Going to need more info on this. You said it crashes before you get the OS X boot screen. Do you get the happy mac screen? Does it crash every time, and at the same place? You said you tried installing OS 9.1 but it crashed at 80%: do you mean after 80% install or while trying to boot off the CD? Can you boot off a CD? What troubleshooting steps have you taken?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Chych,

Yeah, Kernel is what it's called probably. One of my friends said that before. I've already tried resetting the PRAM several times. I've tried boot off my os 9 cd and that is fine. But when I install os 9, the intalling progress bar gets like 80 percent done and then it just freezes there (i left for 4 hours and it didn't budge). I did this twice.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Sorry for not being detailed enough.

When I boot (when os X is intalled) I do get a happy mac, then the kernel panic happens when the screen turns blue right before the boot panel comes up.

It crashes EVERYTIME at the same place at the blue screen between the happy mac with gray background and before the boot panel progress bar appears.

when i tried install os 9.1, it freezes 80% during the install, meaning the progress bar is about 80% done and then the mac just freezes there.

what i've tried (each of these i've done more than once):

resetting PRAM

formating disk

running disk utility and verified/repaired hard drive

reinstalling os 9.1, os 10.1.3

cleaning out the tower of dust

swapping ram chips in different ram slots
  • Reply 5 of 9
    pastapasta Posts: 112member
    [quote]Originally posted by tennismac:

<strong>Sorry for not being detailed enough.

When I boot (when os X is intalled) I do get a happy mac, then the kernel panic happens when the screen turns blue right before the boot panel comes up.

It crashes EVERYTIME at the same place at the blue screen between the happy mac with gray background and before the boot panel progress bar appears.

when i tried install os 9.1, it freezes 80% during the install, meaning the progress bar is about 80% done and then the mac just freezes there.

what i've tried (each of these i've done more than once):

resetting PRAM

formating disk

running disk utility and verified/repaired hard drive

reinstalling os 9.1, os 10.1.3

cleaning out the tower of dust

swapping ram chips in different ram slots</strong><hr></blockquote>

1. Try removing all but 1 RAM chip and then booting. If it panics, remove that RAM chip and try another. Do this until you've tested all of your RAM chips.

2. Boot off OS 9 CD. Use drive setup to initialize the drive, but this time select the option of zeroing all data. This will take a while, depending on the size of your drive, but if it manages to complete, it rules out bad sectors on your drive. If it completes without hanging, try installing OS 9.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    At least if it does turn out to be the hard drive, it won't be that expensive to fix. Hard drives can be gotten pretty cheaply.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    sounds like a toasted harddrive o me.

-crashing on startup

-can boot up from cd but installing a system fails

-lowlevel format that disk - and do the "zero-thing" talked about above.

if you still can't install on that disk - its gone.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    [quote]Originally posted by peve:

<strong>sounds like a toasted harddrive o me.

-crashing on startup

-can boot up from cd but installing a system fails

-lowlevel format that disk - and do the "zero-thing" talked about above.

if you still can't install on that disk - its gone.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Might not be hard drive. The fact that OSX CD won't even boot lends itself to maybe a memory problem. OSX CD doesn't need the hard drive to boot. I had this problem once on a PC. Windows would only load part way and fail, or if I got it to completely load it would f*ck up half the time. Turned out that my L2 Cache had been fried because I forgot to put the heatsink paste on the proc. Works fine now, but with the L2 Cache disabled in the BIOS settings.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I zeroed out the hard drive even tho i have an ATA hd. It works now. I'll give it a couple days but it looks like it's fixed for good. Tho I would have kinda like to have to replace my 6gb hd...it's too small! heh

Thanks for the suggestions guys.