Help! My MacBook Pro (2007) Crashed!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My MacBook Pro (2007, 15" Intel) crashed while I was streaming a movie using full screen. The image froze with noise across the entire screen.

I forced shut down and booted. The screen came up like this.Then the screen turned white and stayed that way until I had to force shut down again.

I used another computer and used the Macbook Pro as a target drive and I could saved most of the important data.

Anyone here experienced something similar? Or can someone give me advice on this, please?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    The 2007 Macbook Pro has the defective 8600M GT graphics cards. They have a manufacturing fault, which causes them to fail. Apple extended the warranty until September 2011:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ree_years.html

There are online repair options:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MacBook-Pro-...-/330640839350

but they will be repairing it with a defective part. If you spend $200 getting it fixed, your machine will be worth $400 at best so you'd probably be best selling it for parts and putting the money towards a better machine.

There's a possibility it's something other than the GPU but the display artifacts are symptoms of a bad GPU and it's a known issue with your model of computer.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatnao View Post

My MacBook Pro (2007, 15" Intel) crashed while I was streaming a movie using full screen. The image froze with noise across the entire screen.

I forced shut down and booted. The screen came up like this.Then the screen turned white and stayed that way until I had to force shut down again.

I used another computer and used the Macbook Pro as a target drive and I could saved most of the important data.

Anyone here experienced something similar? Or can someone give me advice on this, please?

Thanks.

Yeah definitely a GPU error, like said in the message above it doesn't make any sense to let the problem fixed. Although you can always try to contact Apple and see what they can do for you, best way to do this is to visit a local Apple Store. Good luck!