Apple retakes crown as world's top smartphone maker

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

After tallying the numbers from top smartphone manufacturers' fourth quarter 2011 earnings, it was revealed on Monday that Apple has wrested the top spot from Samsung following the highly successful iPhone 4S launch.

According to a press release from market research firm IDC, Apple's 37 million iPhone sales during the December quarter was enough to once again put the company at the head of the smartphone pack with a market share narrowly beating that of its main competitor Samsung by one percent.

The firm's Worldwide Mobile Phone Tracker saw Apple ride an industry-smashing quarter o grow its share of the market by 128.4 percent year-over-year to end with a 23.5 percent market share, while Samsung grew 275 percent to finish with a 22.8 percent share.

The fourth quarter saw Apple selling 37 million iPhones compared to the 36 million units Samsung sold, which included various Android-based models like the Galaxy S II and the Galaxy Nexus.

Despite being ousted from the driver's seat, Samsung broke records of its own, including passing the 30 million unit sold mark, netting the largest year-to-year increase among smartphone makers and ending 2011 as the world's overall market leader.

Apple ousts Samsung as world's No. 1 smartphone manufacturer. | Source: IDC

Overall, the worldwide smartphone market grew 54.7 percent from the year ago quarter as vendors shipped 157.8 million devices, compared to 102 million in 2010.

"By the end of the quarter, one out of every three mobiles phones shipped worldwide was a smartphone," said senior research analyst with IDC's Mobile Phone Technology and Trends team Ramon Llamas. "The launch of Apple's iPhone 4S played a key role in smartphone growth to capture pent-up demand, and smartphone launches from other vendors also provided a broad selection to meet varying preferences and budgets."

Nokia was the industry's biggest loser and posted the largest year-to-year decrease among top smartphone vendors. The company announced in early 2011 that it had entered a partnership with Microsoft and would be abandoning the Symbian operating system for Redmond's new Windows Phone platform. Following a dismal earnings call in January, the Finnish phone maker warned that the transition would continue impact sales well into 2012.

Source: IDC Worldwide Mobile Phone Tracker

In a recent report regarding the trend away from PCs and toward mobile devices, research group Canalys noted that Apple had beaten Samsung to become the world's largest smartphone vendor, though it fell short of estimating specific sales numbers from the South Korean electronics maker.

The iPhone was also credited with bringing Apple some 75 percent of all mobile phone profits, including so-called feature phones, during the quarter on just 9 percent of sales.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Why can't we just accept the fact that Android is winning and the iPhone is an overpriced niche product? It would make everybody happier.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I don't see Apple's reign lasting more than the quarter. Samsung's unit growth is much more substantial, albeit less profitable. By the time the next iPhone gets released I think Samsung would have eaten even more of the other Android-based vendor's lunches and will be far ahead Apple in unit sales.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't see Apple's reign lasting more than the quarter. Samsung's unit growth is much more substantial, albeit less profitable.

Yup - as I posted in another thread, all the focus on marketshare reminds me of the underpants gnomes on SouthPark:

Phase One: Collect Marketshare

Phase Two: ??????

Phase Three: Profit!

Yup! How's that Phase two coming?

Quote:

By the time the next iPhone gets released I think Samsung would have eaten even more of the other Android-based vendor's lunches and will be far ahead Apple in unit sales.

I also agree - I think Samsung is far more of a problem for other Android makers than anything else.

Much like Amazon is sucking the little oxygen left in the room by the iPad, Samsung is squeezing out the other Android phone makers.

So much for the much-vaunted advantage of "open" with hardware variety if no one can make money and they stop manufacturing Android devices

HTC in particular took a big hit last quarter. This is going to be the year of reconciliation in the Android phone space. We might finally see some rationality to the Android phone market and some pulling back on the perpetual "model every other week" - which, ironically, I think will boost Android sales more than anything.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Why can't we just accept the fact that Android is winning and the iPhone is an overpriced niche product? It would make everybody happier.

Be honest, I'd love it that way and throw this hot potato issue of 'The Biggest In The World' title to Samsung, Nokia or whoever. If it will keep bad press, NGO attacks, muckrakers and Congress away.

Hop over to AI's own Stock board. They can tell you more. The gists of what they discuss is Apple has getting to huge so fast that it is losing its old underdog status that saves the company for so long. Apple is becoming a gigantic corporation and from now on, people will treat Apple differently and not in positive way.

The barbs and poisons used to attack Microsoft a decade ago is now heading for Apple, sometimes with very sons and daughters of Microsoft haters themselves. Just because it is so big now?

Someone post this phase but I don't remember who. I'll give the original poster a biscuit if he turns up;

"Apple might as well changed its logo from an apple to bull's eye. It s size and influences to the industry is so vast governments, activists and people won't let it does its own things in its own way unnoticed anymore."
  • Reply 5 of 41
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Samsung was the only one who figure out to model what apple was doing which was to have a single product in the market so not to overly confuse the consumer. As long as Samsung mirror what Apple does they should be fine.

However, their recent ads may back fire on them. They are trying to play buy a mac ad campaign but in their ads they directly insult the apple used not sure how well that will play with winning people over.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

We might finally see some rationality to the Android phone market and some pulling back on the perpetual "model every other week" - which, ironically, I think will boost Android sales more than anything.

Samsung apparently has a special event planned for March. I wouldn't be surprised since it's just another way to mimic Apple.

Maybe Samsung will announce a consolidation in the number of units to be released. Even one every 2 months would still be a huge reduction.

Or perhaps they will start to release the same model across all carriers in all countries to best Apple in the most sold by model category. I think that would actually be a smart marketing tactic.

Or perhaps they will announce a forking of Android that will support Android Market apps but all support Samsung Market apps that are vetted much like the App Store is.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Samsung was the only one who figure out to model what apple was doing which was to have a single product in the market so not to overly confuse the consumer. As long as Samsung mirror what Apple does they should be fine...

I think keeping their product line minimal and straightforward is one of the few things Samsung haven't copied Apple on. There's almost too much choice now...

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/m...phones/android
  • Reply 8 of 41
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After tallying the numbers from top smartphone manufacturers' fourth quarter 2011 earnings, it was revealed on Monday that Apple has wrested the top spot from Samsung following the highly successful iPhone 4S launch.

Journalism 101:

* Never write a story lead in the passive verb tense. Who is "it" in "It was revealed"? If you know WHO revealed something, then say so up front.

* Never begin a lead with a dependent clause that modifies nothing. Who tallied the numbers? "It"?

This is one of AI's sloppiest-ever pieces of writing. As aspiring professionals, you should be embarrassed.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Quote:

Because lumping all other phone manufacturers together against Apple is the only way haters can make Apple look like it's failing.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buckeyestar View Post

Because lumping all other phone manufacturers together against Apple is the only way haters can make Apple look like it's failing.

Exactly.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Samsung does not announce shipped so this is analyst guess with big error bars either way

What is a smart phone is all over the map for Samsung

Shipped and sold are very different outcomes

So Apple is very well but it's a major guess for Apple and Samsung comparisons. Take with a very big grain of salt.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Apple is becoming a gigantic corporation and from now on, people will treat Apple differently and not in positive way.

Apple's been treated in a positive way? When?!?
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Samsung was the only one who figure out to model what apple was doing which was to have a single product in the market so not to overly confuse the consumer. As long as Samsung mirror what Apple does they should be fine.

However, their recent ads may back fire on them. They are trying to play buy a mac ad campaign but in their ads they directly insult the apple used not sure how well that will play with winning people over.

Right now, Samsung has many phones on the market. Notable examples include the Galaxy Nexus, the Galaxy S II and the Note. All are popular, as is the original Galaxy S.

Apple has 3 different models on the market, ranging from free to premium-priced.

The insults are not directed at casual Apple customers. Instead, they focus on a few silly customers in an attempt to make normal customers want to back away fro the whole Apple "thing".
  • Reply 14 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buckeyestar View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Exactly.

And yet Apple only looks behind when including all vendors using Andorid for all devices yet oddly not including Apple's other devices utilizing iOS. You switch either thing and Apple still best Android per vendor or as a whole. And that's without including anything relevant like ecosystem strength or profits.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

HTC in particular took a big hit last quarter. This is going to be the year of reconciliation in the Android phone space. We might finally see some rationality to the Android phone market and some pulling back on the perpetual "model every other week" - which, ironically, I think will boost Android sales more than anything.

Like Nokia, I can see HTC leaning more and more towards Win Mobile. LG may end up doing the same thing. Eventually we may see WinMobile gain some real traction just because of sheer numbers... the same strategy being used by Android today.

[... and Bing begins to gain ground on Google... wouldn't that be a shocker]
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Right now, Samsung has many phones on the market. Notable examples include the Galaxy Nexus, the Galaxy S II and the Note. All are popular, as is the original Galaxy S.

Apple has 3 different models on the market, ranging from free to premium-priced.

The insults are not directed at casual Apple customers. Instead, they focus on a few silly customers in an attempt to make normal customers want to back away fro the whole Apple "thing".

You don't attack the customer! Even cutthroat political ads in the US attack the candidate, not the voter. Imagine if a political ad said, "You're a fucking moron and a douche bag if you waste your vote on Newt you moon colony wanting assprobes. Vote Mitt Romney." I'm guessing it would help Newt, not hurt him.

Remember, Samsung might be copying Apple but they are competing against first a foremost all other Android-based vendors... and they are winning.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I'd amend this statement.. :"By the end of the quarter, one out of every three mobiles phones shipped worldwide was a smartphone,"

to "By the end of the quarter, one out of every three mobiles phones shipped worldwide was a running iOS or a blatant knock off of iOS","

It's a chilling response to those that mocked Steve's 100% touch interface at launch.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You don't attack the customer! Even cutthroat political ads in the US I after the candidate not the voter. Imagine if a political ad said, "You're a fucking moron and a douche bag if you waste your on vote on Newt you you moon colony wanting assprobes. Vote Mitt Romney." I'm guessing it would help Newt, not hurt him.

Remember, Samsung might be copying Apple but they are competing against first a foremost all other Android-based vendors... and they are winning.

I've seen those political ads
  • Reply 19 of 41
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Analysis based on estimated and unpublished sales figures is not news or evenly mildly interesting. It is however investor click-bait from IDC.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Quote:

Because its a true fact. Samsung will continue its meteoric rise. Apple at this point moving forward will never regain that crown again.