Leaked photo allegedly shows outside back cover of Apple's next iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

On the heels of an earlier purported leak of the back panel of the third-generation iPad, new leaked photos have emerged showing an external view of the back panel of the rumored device, as well as magnets for an "iPad 3" Smart Cover.

Taiwanese Apple site Apple.pro () published the photos on Thursday, also noting the apparent leak that occurred on Thursday. Report author Anthony Tsai said the images had been passed on to him by a foreigner.

Tsai noted that those hoping for a redesigned iPad will likely be disappointed, as the back panel appears to be nearly identical to that of the iPad 2. Interestingly enough, the photo of the alleged back panel contains no markings other than the Apple logo, possibly suggesting that it is from a test production batch.

The next iPad is widely expected to arrive in March and include a double-resolution display. There is, however, some disagreement on whether the device will include a quad-core or a dual-core A6 processor. Scattered reports have also claimed Apple will add 4G LTE compatibility to the tablet.

Thursday's report also claimed to include a photo of the magnets that will be implemented for a Smart Cover for the third-generation iPad. According to Tsai, the photo doesn't show a change in the "general appearance" of the cover's design.

Apple released the Smart Cover alongside the iPad 2 last March. A teardown of the accessory showed that Apple employed 21 magnets in it to get it to align properly, as well as 10 magnet in the iPad 2 itself. The company updated the product last October to tweak the colors and have the interior lining match the outside cover.

Earlier reports have suggested that the third-generation iPad will maintain a close enough form factor to its predecessor so as to be compatible with the Smart Cover.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Sounds about right. Under Steve he might have pushed for a refined (or shall we say, new,) form factor, but this kinda aligns with Apple's version of the "tick-tock" strategy.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Forget the back... it's what's INSIDE that counts...

Anyone leak a 2048x1536 screen yet?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Apple's design is very minimalistic, therefore case leaks don't tell you much. Give me a Retina screen and a Thunderbolt interface behind the iPad connector and I'll be happy (of course, being Thunderbolt, it can emulate USB if plugged in to something old).
  • Reply 4 of 17
    The lack of an "iPad" inscription may indicate that Apple is allowing for the use of different brand names in various countries, where the name "iPad" proper would present a stumbling block.

After all, an inscription may not be too costly to make, considering that they offer one for free on iPhones purchased as a gift on the Apple Store.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VanFruniken View Post

The lack of an "iPad" inscription may indicate that Apple is allowing for the use of different brand names in various countries, where the name "iPad" proper would present a stumbling block.

I think that part is different in different countries already, due to it including logos of approval from the various standards bodies for that jurisdiction.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I have a Chinese friend who works at Foxconn (his name's Wang, for those of you who are curious) and he advises me the next iPad has:

4D Invisible Retina Display

Batteries in 'The Cloud'

Edible Apple Logo on rear

Runs iOS XXX (must be over 18 to use)

Liquid Metal Casing constructed from patented nano bots which prevent copying the overall look and feel of the device (if you copy it, it changes form into something else)

A stylus
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

...the next iPad has:

Batteries in 'The Cloud'

Liquid Metal Casing constructed from patented nano bots which prevent copying the overall look and feel of the device (if you copy it, it changes form into something else)

A stylus

I believe everything, except the stylus.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

I have a Chinese friend who works at Foxconn (his name's Wang, for those of you who are curious) and he advises me the next iPad has:

Batteries in 'The Cloud'

A stylus

Actually, I hope they start doing something with LiquidMetal soon. My LQMT investment has been a bust.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

so instead of iPad Pro we can call it iPad Pr0n?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Well, in terms of hardware advancement (i.e.. not the guts)- Apple can only make 3 significant changes- THICKNESS, WEIGHT, SIZE.

It seems obvious that Apple are probably sticking with the 9.7" display for at least a couple more revs. The iPad2 brought us both reductions in weight and thickness.

I think that the retina display technology is to a large extent going to determine if we see any movement on size and weight again this year. If they're going with the backlit LCD, then chances are they've kept the form factor static, and any adjustments to the internals would probably go towards a larger battery (again, to compensate for the more power hungry Retina LCD).

Weigh-wise, the only way I see them making any progress is if they can move to the Liquid metal, as the benefit of that is supposedly a stronger case at less mass.

But in all honesty, i think we're likely due to get an iPad3 that's about the same thickness and weight, owing to the Retina display. And that next year's model with be able to start pairing down both these aspects again.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Batteries in 'The Cloud'

That made my day.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    The hole has moved. That's what she said. But seriously- up on the shoulder of the curve now- surprised the article didn't mention it- cmon guys. Since the rest of the back provides nothing interesting...
  • Reply 13 of 17
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    The actual form factor is almost perfect. The only thing that should change is weight.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Batteries in 'The Cloud'

Tesla was right!
  • Reply 15 of 17
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post

so instead of iPad Pro we can call it iPad Pr0n?

• Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

My LQMT investment has been a bust.

Same here, anantksundaram. I'm down substantially.

Initially, I loved the idea and the rumored connection to Apple. It all added up to a decent gamble...but it's turned out to be rather confounding. It's not a clear-cut loser, yet the rumors don't seem to die off.

On "wait and see" mode here. Can't bring myself to sell at a loss. Worse, I can't bring myself to average down, either. Stuck in limbo.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Anyone leak a 2048x1536 screen yet?

A long time ago, yeah.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

It seems obvious that Apple are probably sticking with the 9.7" display for at least a couple more revs.

Or the rest of the product line.