Final Cut and RT rendering cards

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Within the next couple of months i am probably going to purchase a new mac to do video editing, and while i was looking around the internet i saw real time rendering cards like the matrox rt mac, dvrapotor ect...

I also need to get something for analog - firewire conversion or something like that, and was looking at the canopous advc100. I odn't really want to spend a lot of money (sub $500 preferably around $300)

I was wondering two things, are the real time rendering cards worth it, and if so which ones are good. The other question is, should i spend the money on a firewire analog converter or should i get a pci card that does it?

It would be really great if someone knows of a card that does both analog input/output and real time rendering.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    blizaineblizaine Posts: 239member
    [quote]Originally posted by MicrosoftOsXp:

<strong>Within the next couple of months i am probably going to purchase a new mac to do video editing, and while i was looking around the internet i saw real time rendering cards like the matrox rt mac, dvrapotor ect...

I also need to get something for analog - firewire conversion or something like that, and was looking at the canopous advc100. I odn't really want to spend a lot of money (sub $500 preferably around $300)

I was wondering two things, are the real time rendering cards worth it, and if so which ones are good. The other question is, should i spend the money on a firewire analog converter or should i get a pci card that does it?

It would be really great if someone knows of a card that does both analog input/output and real time rendering.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It depends on how much real-time editing you want to do... FC3 can do real-time editing with 2 layers + a title layer on a 500Mhz G4 and the faster your Mac is the more real-time layers you can edit, without having to wait for them to be rendered...

I would save the money you would spend on an RT card, and get the fastest Mac I could afford and add a Formac AV-DV converter for $399 for those analog sources.

<a href="http://www.formac.com/html/shopformac.html?cid=shop_products_studio"; target="_blank">Formac </a>

Hope this helps.

Blizaine