Video Card Suggestions

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi folks. Well it's looking like I need to replace my video card, and well, what's everyone else using and liking?

G5, 2.66 with 30" Apple monitor

Graphics Software

Very few games

online video / training movies

Skip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    PowerMac, right?

You'll have to get the PowerPC version of the X1900. I'd suggest the PowerPC version of the Quadro 4000, but that's WAY too expensive and very overkill for what you need.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

PowerMac, right?

You'll have to get the PowerPC version of the X1900. I'd suggest the PowerPC version of the Quadro 4000, but that's WAY too expensive and very overkill for what you need.

Desktop Mac Pro 2.66 Dual Core (2006?)

Skip
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Desktop Mac Pro 2.66 Dual Core (2006?)

Oh, Mac Pro. Grab an nVidia 8800GT. I don't remember if the Radeon 4xxx series works on the first-gen Mac Pro.

Okay, never mind. Get a Radeon 4870. It works. Barefeats (the account on MacRumors; I didn't check the site, but I'm sure it's there, too) said so.

Okay… apparently they ALL work…

http://www.barefeats.com/wst10g5.html

Grab anything that works in any Mac Pro and it will work in a 2006 model Mac Pro.

Which is odd, because I could have SWORN the 32-bit EFI stopped cards newer than the 8800GT from working…

So you could get ANY card that is made for ANY Mac Pro (and whichever fits your budget) and use it. Hmm…