SSD Advice

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi Guys

Looking for some advice and feedback on SSD drives for the MacBook Pro. I am looking to swap out the superdrive with an SSD drive of either 128GB or 256GB and have been looking at the Crucial M4 drives.

My current concerns are with the firmware and reliability of the drives. I have read that there are still issues experienced with windows and the sandforce firmwares (they cause BSoD's) but there is no mention of any performance issues or crashes with OSX.

Thanks in advance for your advice and experiences.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    chipzchipz Posts: 100member
    I don't know if this is of any help in your case but I have been using a MBA with the 256 GB SSD since last July and haven't experienced any problems at all. The drive accepts files and stores and retrieves them just as a normal HDD would. I would imagine an SSD in a Mac Book Peo should do the same. I will admits, I was hesitant about getting a MBA because I didn't know anything about the SSD. It is very efficient and is fast. Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Yeah, if you get the SSDs that come with the Macbook Air/Pro/etc then those seem to be great.

Third-party SSDs are a bit confusing, because of so many brands and the uncertainty surrounding performance/compatibility. OWC seems to be "familiar" in some ways, I've had my eye on those for quite a while. Just waiting for the drop in prices for 256GB, thinking of the MBA but I've got 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo and now 8GB RAM in my MacBook Pro. A decent 300+GB SSD would really keep things humming along.