Help ... WinXP into an Airport network

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an existing airport network ... and i want to get in on the action with my Windows XP machine ... (OK ... it costs barely more than VPC ... but it works at full Intel1.2 speed. there are a couple of programs i need that arn't ported to mac)

In anycase ... the Windows machine has a Lynxis PCI wireless card and it works ...

The PC sees the airport and gets an IP address ... however, whenever I try to browse, I get a message "Unable to connect to server or DNS error".

I copied the DNS numbers from my existing machines (iMac and iBook) into the XP setup... anybody that can help me ?

Earthlink DSL, if it matters

The macs were both running and surfing within 5 minutes of breaking the seal on the airport box ... the WinTelXP is a whole 'nuther story...

Thanks for any help that may be out there !

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mr_emr_e Posts: 40member
    Make sure you set the router's IP as the default gateway... but DHCP should handle that...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    DHCP is configuring it's stuff properly (as far as i can tell) .... gateway is set properly and it gets it's own IP address from the airport.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i think the problem is that you're running XP.

wish i could be more help, but i've sworn off XP and modems for life. neither one ever works like they're supposed to, and are a bitch to configure.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Thanks for the suggestions ... the first one got me looking in the right direction anyway.

Everything is up and running ... i feel slimy after working all morning on Windows XP ... the only saving grace is that that machine is now online through an Apple Airport

I'll admit that the Wintel machine can do anything my macs can, and they are just as fast/powerful... But the extra $$ for a mac sure buys a LOT of ease-of-use.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I found that I couldn't have a password protected airport network for XP to get online. Try that out.