Memory: What's the deal?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok, I'm wondering about memory. I'm buying an iMac soonish and I am definatly going to upgrade the RAM to at least 512. Should I buy from straight from Apple?, Is the memory they use better than other stuff? If I buy from say, MacMall, who offers 256 free RAM, will that differ from what I will get from Clubmac, or other stores?, Is it easy enough and a better deal to buy the RAM and install it myself(i would probably break the computer) There are different brands of memory, and differnt prices, does the price reflect the quality and performance?

People will probly think i'm an idiot but. . . Can I steal the RAM from the PC that I am ditching and put that in the iMac?

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    To answer your questions one by one:

1) No, you should not buy directly from Apple. They probably have better more stringent QC as a vendor but their memory is the same from others (more on that).

2) The name brands such as Crucial, Kingston, etc. costs a bit more than generic no-name brands but I feel the quality and warranty is worth it.

3) It is pretty easy to install memory. I am used to doing it on a PC and was surprised by how intuitive it is on a Mac (iBook).

4) The price can be indicative of quality but the performance should be pretty much the same. Again, I would get it from a reputable brand or a vendor even though the price may be higher.

5) Yes, if the PC is a notebook that uses the 144 pin SODIMM format.

Good places to start:

<a href="http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr+Productline=Apple+iMAC&amp;mfr=A pple&cat=RAM&model=iMAC+%28G4-800%29&submit=Go" target="_blank">http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr+Productline=Apple+iMAC&amp;mfr=A pple&cat=RAM&model=iMAC+%28G4-800%29&submit=Go</a>

<a href="http://dealram.com/prices/14/512MB.html"; target="_blank">http://dealram.com/prices/14/512MB.html</a>;

Ithaca is gorges! (from my Cornell days...)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    ok, i'm gonna take the different approach...if you are only going to 512, i would get apple to install it on the internal slot for you... that way you can add more later if you want...i really think 512 if perfect for 95% of all users....and getting apple to install should insure quality and such....i installed 512 so-dimm when i got my iMac to bring it to 768 mb, but it had little quarks (arrow would randomly fly across the screen and power down was a nasty noise instead of musical tone)....finally the so-dimm went down and i had to send it back to be replaced....while the ram was out i only had 256 ram and my machine actually seemed to run better (no arrow jumps, no harsh sounding power downs--wish i had known it was the ram all along)........so, for about 200 bucks you can have apple bring your machine up to 512 internal ram, or for the same 200ish bucks you can get a 512 so-dimm to add to apples 256....if you really need 768 get the so-dimm, but if 512 is ok, i would get apple to add it....just my thoughts....(ps, to make matters worse i broke the little plastic thingies that hold in the so-dimm when i took it out and had to have the logic board replaced...thank you apple care, so it cost no a cent, but i lost my machine for 3 days)....g
  • Reply 3 of 6
    don't know your financial state.....but

512 on two dimms (one 256 internal and one 256 external)---150 bucks at apple

512 on one dimm (one 512 internal)--250 bucks at apple

512 so-dimm from crucial--212 bucks with free shipping AND 50 bucks off coupon...it is a good deal and you will end up with 768 instead of 512 (and i didn't break my computer putting the ram in, only taking it out...i am ashamed to admit that....i don't think you will have any problems adding ram yourself)....but if i had it all to do again, i think i would go the apple route...but i am becoming more of a chicken in my old age......) g

<a href="http://www.crucial.com/store/couponpricing.asp?PARTNO=CT240377&amp;model=iMAC+(G4-800)&amp;ext_part_no_desc=Upgrade+for+a+Apple+iMac+% 28G4-800%29+System&BASEPARTNO=CT64M64S4W75&x=6&y=5" target="_blank">crucial link</a>

[ 07-31-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 6
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    So if I were to order 512 1 dimm from apple(i assume this is the only way to get 512 internally) it would mean that I could expand up to 1 gig and 256 mhz?, I would be able to put more RAM in the computer totally if I get 512 1 dimm from apple?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    [quote] So if I were to order 512 1 dimm from apple(i assume this is the only way to get 512 internally) it would mean that I could expand up to 1 gig and 256 mhz?, I would be able to put more RAM in the computer totally if I get 512 1 dimm from apple? <hr></blockquote>

if you pay the extra 250 bucks to apple they put a 512 mb dimm in the internal slot instead of the 256...this is on the internal board that you as a consumer can not get to (easily, that is) and don't want to mess around with yourself....this 512 should be great for most people...if you feel like you need more later you can add so-dimm ram to the external slot...up to 512 more...for a total of 1 gig ram possible in the iMac....good luck and have fun....love my iMac, even if i did rip off the little plastic thingyies.....g
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ps...the apple route is the most expensive way to go...and many will tell you not to do it that way...so whatever you decide is cool....in hindsight i would have had apple load in one 512 dimm and would have been fine with that...512 will drive an iMac running os X very well....and having apple do it all for me would have kept me and my freakin fingers from ripping off part of my logic board (that really should be made stronger just for ham-fisted people like me)...if money is a major concern, look around...if ease of mind and not wanting to think about anything to much (like i am becoming in my old age), have apple do it....i would recommend 512 on one dimm as opposed to two 256 modules....of course if you have two and one goes bad, the computer should still work....g