Firewire woes...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just got an Iogear USB2/Firewire PCI card and am having some problem getting firewire to work on my Beige G3 in OS X. Simply, my iPod (only firewire device on me) does not mount in OS X, in OS 9 it works fine. Are there any firewire drivers for X I'm supposed to get?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Hmm strange, in Apple System Profiler the iPod shows but it isn't mounted, anyone know how to mount it?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    anyone?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    C'mon guys, I'm desparate, anyone? I guess this card will have to go back then, and I'll have to try a different brand... I just got a firewire cd burner that works fine in 9 but nothing in X too (40x write, and toast in 9 only goes up to 16x, arrgh!)...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i was just going to ask if you were sure the firewire card was supported in OSX. you would probably be well off to check and see what's for sale at a Mac centric store and go from there.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    check your settings in iTunes?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    as for limits in iTunes to burning speed, i'm starting to wonder if that's not an accident. i've found that although i have a 40x burner on my PC and cd's that are rated that high, cd's burned at those speeds will often skip or not read at all in some cd players.

however, the EXACT same cd burned at a slower speed work no problem.

burning at 40x is fine for data, but for music i always burn slower now.

the speed thing also holds true for duplicating some cd's. some just have to be burned at lower speeds to work, so there must be some measurable difference as far as the cd player is concerned with the cd's burned at different speeds.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Well the card is advertised to work under X on a computer with a pci card. I even made a fresh X installation and no firewire device mounted... Anyone know of a card that does work in X on a beige? Maybe orangemicro?