Good, cheap DVD-R media

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Does anyone have direct personal experience using a good, cheap DVD-R media other than Apple's branded media?

I've found media for as low as $1 a disc, white on to with purple on bottom, but I've seen others report that non-apple media doesn't work.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Non crappy media works. I don't know about the really cheap media. I've never tried it. $1 discs certainly won't let you burn at 2x though.

I've used Sony, TDK and Apple media so far. Apple media is the cheapest from a major brand name.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I'm really unsure as to what this has to do with Software ;-)

Moving to the Genius Bar for purchasing advice...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    the current firmware in the superdrives (A/103 and A/104) checks the dye first, decide if it's 2x rated media, and then burn...There's a very remote possibility that someone will make a firmware hack to get around this, but don't count on it.

I've had experiences with the type of media you mentioned from supermediastore or what not, it's pretty reliable. All my coasters came from OS 9 crashing for whatever reason
  • Reply 4 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    evangellydonut, my friend has a DVR-A04 on his PC and he has tried burning 1x DVD-Rs from disksdirect.com at 2x and burnt nothing from coasters. If it's a firmware issue, some apps have apparently gotten around it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    bluesignsbluesigns Posts: 315member
    i just got a pack of 1.50$ DVD-R from meritline .com.

i haven't burnt one yet.