Upgrading iMac ram to 1gb

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm getting an iMac soon, and I wondered how hard it is to upgrade the memory to 1gb. I know it entails getting inside the computer, but how hard is that? Is it worth it to have 256mb more? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by iDude:

<strong>I'm getting an iMac soon, and I wondered how hard it is to upgrade the memory to 1gb. I know it entails getting inside the computer, but how hard is that? Is it worth it to have 256mb more? Thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You are implying that your iMac will already have 768MB of RAM. You would need a 512MB module to get to 1GB. Why? The way Apple installs 768MB of RAM is a 512MB in the internal (non accessable) socket, and 256MB in the user-upgradabe socket. There are only two sockets, so to upgrade to 1GB you would need to remove the 256MB installed by Apple, and replace it with a 512MB. It is very easy, just look at <a href="http://www.apple.com/imac/."; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/imac/.</a>; It shows how all you have to do is remove four screws from the base and slide in extra RAM and or an AirPort card. Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    whatever you do DO NOT replace the internal slot (not user upgradeable) without first CAREFULLY reading through the .pdf tech document for upgrading the iMacs.

(you'll have to look around to find it, it's over 100 pages long thoguh, so you'll know when you've got it)

you can (and probably will) damage the processor if you take it apart and don't follow the exact steps they describe when putting it back together. it involves adding additional thermal paste and precise tightening of torx screws, so it's not something done lightly.

just keep that in mind.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>whatever you do DO NOT replace the internal slot (not user upgradeable) without first CAREFULLY reading through the .pdf tech document for upgrading the iMacs.

(you'll have to look around to find it, it's over 100 pages long thoguh, so you'll know when you've got it)

</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you decide to go ahead and do it yourself you can get the Service Source document which alchimedes mentioned <a href="http://www.gacmug.org/downloads/Macintosh Info Archive/Official Apple Manuals and Information/Internal Apple Service Manuals/iMacs/iMac Flatpanel - Draft of Serice Source Manual.pdf&quot; target="_blank">here (4.39Mb)</a>.

J :cool:
  • Reply 4 of 6
    idudeidude Posts: 352member
    I think I'll survive with 768. It sounds a little too risky for my liking. I'd order it with 512 already in from Apple, but they charge way too much for ram. Considering my iBook now has 384, I should be OK with 768.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    This is why frequenting your local reseller is a good idea... mine here did that replacement for me last time for free.

It pays off dealing with actual people sometimes.

• Reply 6 of 6
    idudeidude Posts: 352member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>This is why frequenting your local reseller is a good idea... mine here did that replacement for me last time for free.

It pays off dealing with actual people sometimes.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I would do that, but I live in no mans land (NW Indiana) and the nearest Apple reseller ir either 2hrs to South Bend, 2hrs to Indianapolis, or 2 hrs to the Apple Store at Woodfield. I don't have that kind of time.