Help! My tibook is peeling!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I took my tibook out of my travel bag and noticed that the (paint?) on the monitor hinge is coming off . It looks like it is bubbling and flaking off. Any suggestions on how to stop it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Don't think you can. The only think I can think of right now is try to fix it or send it into apple for a new coat of paint.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    That is a widespread problem, and I have seen no one fix it once it has started w/o sending it to Apple. Check out the Apple discussion boards as there are a lot of posts about this. I recommend taking pics of the damage in case you need them, as Apple reportedly will tell you it is normal wear and tear unless you realy get on them. I also hope it is still under warranty or you are totally up shit creek.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    You can buy a few different paints designed for use with the Tibook. Everyone will run into the paint problem unless they treat thier book like gold.

Try apple if you have warentee, and don't mind not having your book for a month. If not, then get some specialty paint. Find out if apple will touch it after you have tried to fix it..

that way, you could fix it yourself.. then right before the warentee expires, send it in for repairs.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    vikingviking Posts: 127member
    I posted a question yesterday asking people if they knew anything about waxing Ti powerbooks. I spent a while searching through threads of people who have used car waxes on their powerbooks with great success. Many people have used liquid glass wax or Nu finish. Most of the people suggested not to wax the entire computer because this might ruin the heat disapation. Just waxing the edges of the computer to protect it. I applied a layer of pure carnuba wax to my 667mhz DVI powerbook on the top edge of white trim to prevent scratches and bubbling. It seems like this might do the trick. It feels nice to the touch now and it won't get dirty and scratch as easy. Its barely noticable but it does apply a little shine of course. If you ever want to take it off just apply some very fine polish (toothpaste) to bring it back to its original state.

This all seems weird to do especially since powerbooks cost a pretty penny, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

This might save you from getting anymore peeling in the future.