Windows Media Player on OSX

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey people, I have downloaded WMP for OSX, because I am trying to watch some web content, and I always get an error message "File may not play properly because it was compressed by a codec that is not supported". I have no idea what they are talking about, but I downloaded the player and installed it, and still the error message comes up.. Do you guys know what's going on? Thnx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    [quote]Originally posted by brokenphone:

<strong>Hey people, I have downloaded WMP for OSX, because I am trying to watch some web content, and I always get an error message "File may not play properly because it was compressed by a codec that is not supported". I have no idea what they are talking about, but I downloaded the player and installed it, and still the error message comes up.. Do you guys know what's going on? Thnx</strong><hr></blockquote>

It might help if we knew what kind of file you are trying to play.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    I'm not an expert, but simply downloading Windows Media Player may not be enough. I think you need to tell your web browser which player to use (QuickTime or Windows Media) for the file type you are trying to view. In Internet Explorer, this is done via the File Helpers preference. I expect its still trying to use QuickTime, which is why you still get the same error message.

A codec (code/decode) is an algorithm used to code and decode the data, typically an audio visual file. Its coded when the file is generated, compressing the data for a smaller file size and quicker internet transfer, and decoded when the file is viewed via QuickTime or Media Player. Some codecs are not available for some players.

[ 08-05-2002: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>