Internet Sharing w/ Hub

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I searched the forums and I couldn't find anything on this.

I have a cable modem hooked into a 5 port Belkin hub. I then have my G4 in port 1, and iMac in port 2.

I setup Brickhouse's Internet Sharing on my G4 and it tells me to make the iMacs gateway address be 172.0.0.1 Or is that what I make my IP? I am running OS 9 on the iMac and OS X on the G4.

It isn't working, I can tell you that much. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jay Contonio:

<strong>I searched the forums and I couldn't find anything on this.

I have a cable modem hooked into a 5 port Belkin hub. I then have my G4 in port 1, and iMac in port 2.

I setup Brickhouse's Internet Sharing on my G4 and it tells me to make the iMacs gateway address be 172.0.0.1 Or is that what I make my IP? I am running OS 9 on the iMac and OS X on the G4.

It isn't working, I can tell you that much. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I will assume that your hub has an uplink port and that you want the G4 to be your gateway machine.

1)You should probably plug your cable modem into port 1, as it is usually the uplink port (unless there is a port labeled 'uplink')

2)On the G4, In the internet control panel, enter your ISPs supplied information.

3)On G4, within brickhouse: I have never used this, but you will need to set-up an internal network configuration. The G4 should then, through brickhouse take on an ip of 10.0.0.1, or 192.168.1.1 or some such thing..doesn't really matter so long as it ends in 1. Set up a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and the rest should be the same as in the Internet control panel.

4)On the iMac, set it's network info to the same as the G4;s main info, except ip should be 192.168.1.x (or 10.0.0.x), where x is between 2 and 254, and it's subnet should be 255.255.255.0, and it's gateway should be the internal IP of the G4

should be done...as I said, I haven't used brickhouse, but have set up a few sharing LANS. Used to use IPNetrouter under OS8 when I wanted software routing.

[ 08-05-2002: Message edited by: Tulkas ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Instead of choosing your IP for each computer, could you not also use DHCP in the mac preferences (OSX)? I am not positive where it is for OS9, control panel somewhere..

I use a router, not a hub, but the principal is the same. Once you have the hub all set up, and recieving info from your cable modem, all connected computers should just be a matter of attaching and NOT assigning an IP. It makes the network a little bit slower, contacting each other and starting up, but it is much easier to set-up. Though, tulkas is right on what he is saying about the subnet mask, and setting of the Hubs ip choices.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    neither one of these is working right. I can get the two computers to network with each other, but no luck with internet sharing...

Maybe I need to try it with Jaguar or something.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    imudimud Posts: 140member
    I never had much luck with internet sharing and it annoyed me to have to have my desktop on when i wanted to use my laptop on the net. So, I got a linksys router with a built in 4 port hub. I hooked my dsl into the linksys then hooked my desktop and my laptop to it and everything works fine. It even has a built in firewall, if you want to run a web server or something you have to tell it to allow access to that computer on port 80, its really nice and made my life much easier...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    [quote]Originally posted by nocnitsa:

<strong>Instead of choosing your IP for each computer, could you not also use DHCP in the mac preferences (OSX)? I am not positive where it is for OS9, control panel somewhere..

I use a router, not a hub, but the principal is the same. Once you have the hub all set up, and recieving info from your cable modem, all connected computers should just be a matter of attaching and NOT assigning an IP. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Routers and hubs are 2 very different devices. A router does just that, it routes packets between multiple networks. It can assign IPs if is has a DHCP server built it, or it will route to IPs that exist on it's sub net. This is what allows it to share an external IP amongst many internal IP's. A hub, by comparison is a very 'dumb' device. It is used to physically connect various devices on the network, but it doesn't actually do any routing. A hub (or switch) on it's own will not provide IP sharing..you must have a router, either hardware or software. Linksys routers are getting very cheap.