OSX won't launch

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Must have inadvertantly trashed something while in OS9... Get a broken folder icon when trying to launch OSX... try to boot using the system cd, but the hard drive is dimmed by the loading software saying something about other languages.

I'm stuck..??????

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    Dude I'm no expert but I'm thinking you deleted the folders that to the other languages. Say at install you picked to install the other languages along with English and then you go delete them it isn't going to work. Theres a lot of stuff in OS X that corrollates with different languages in there. If you can boot to 9 backup you data, and then format and reload the OS thats all I can say, cuz its going to be a super big hassle to reload all that stuff individually.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by kevinjschmitt:

<strong>Must have inadvertantly trashed something while in OS9... Get a broken folder icon when trying to launch OSX... try to boot using the system cd, but the hard drive is dimmed by the loading software saying something about other languages.

I'm stuck..??????</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe you're using a pirated copy. Stop!

Then it will work...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    try this: boot into os9. pop in the osx cd, then goto the control panels-&gt;Startup Disk. Change the startup disk to the osx cd. close that window. then restart (keeping the cd in the drive). it should then start into osx. reinstall the OS, and remember not to phuq with the files inside /System.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    If that doesn't work try pressing alt-tab when the folder icon pops up. I'm not sure if this will work on all computers. I have a new PowerMac. That action should bring up a selection of what system folder you want to use to start up with.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by thuh Freak:

<strong>try this: boot into os9. pop in the osx cd, then goto the control panels-&gt;Startup Disk. Change the startup disk to the osx cd. close that window. then restart (keeping the cd in the drive). it should then start into osx. reinstall the OS, and remember not to phuq with the files inside /System.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Before you reinstall OSX try to run disk first aid from OS9 and then disk utility/repair from the OSX startup disk (startup as thuh Freak directed). You can find it just after you selected a language in the OSX installer application in one of the menus.

When you quit the installer you have to restart. While doing this, zap the PRAM 3 or 4 times by holding down the alt-apple-p-r keys during startup.