Is PCL6 Postscript emulation?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've been looking at a new laser printer lately but the latest USB ones only have PCL5/6 and no Postscript.

Only HP has true PS but it's also more $.

I think I remember reading somewhere that PCL6 was basically a Postscript emulation.

Can anyone with a PCL6 based printer confirm that you can print PS based graphics from a program like Adobe Illustrator?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    pastapasta Posts: 112member
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>I've been looking at a new laser printer lately but the latest USB ones only have PCL5/6 and no Postscript.

Only HP has true PS but it's also more $.

I think I remember reading somewhere that PCL6 was basically a Postscript emulation.

Can anyone with a PCL6 based printer confirm that you can print PS based graphics from a program like Adobe Illustrator?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, PCL6 is HP's printer language. It doesn't do postscript.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Thanks for the clarification, Pasta.

Looks like it's a HP1200 or nothing.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    Actually, the HP 1200 series (and all other HP laser printers, for that matter) also use a PS emmulator, though it's a pretty good one. We have several HP 8000/8100s in our office, and print vector art and pdfs to them all time without problems.

I found a great deal on a Brother HL-1470N for a fraction of the HP 1200, which has similar specs as the HP1200, plus built-in ethernet card.

I've only had it for a couple of weeks, so I haven't had that much time to put Brother's "BR-Script" PS emmulator though the paces. I've printed pdfs to without any problems, but I haven't printed anything from Illustrator to it.

For a true PS laser printer without today's prices, you might want to consider picking up one of the old Apple Laserwriters.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    pastapasta Posts: 112member
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>Thanks for the clarification, Pasta.

Looks like it's a HP1200 or nothing.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey Satchmo, I used to work with a guy in Ottawa who used that handle. Ever work for Compusmart?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I'm afraid not, Pasta.

Just a big Louie Armstrong fan.