Weird mouse behavior in OS X

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ever since I installed OS X a couple months ago, I've had this strange problem. If I plug in my ADB mouse after the computer has started up, the mouse is stuck on "acceleration" mode, where it moves less per hand movement at slow speeds than at fast speeds. I HATE this, and I want it to stop. I don't have USB overdrive or anything, not even a USB mouse! I realize that ADB isn't technically hot-swappable but I read an article that stated that the Wallstreet PowerBook (my computer) is the only one with a hot-swappable ADB port. So why does this happen? The only way to make it go away is to restart with the mouse plugged in the entire time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>Ever since I installed OS X a couple months ago, I've had this strange problem. If I plug in my ADB mouse after the computer has started up(...)</strong><hr></blockquote>

never unplug/plug adb devices after startup.

you're lucky your mac didn't freeze.

usb mice don't have this "bug".
  • Reply 2 of 5
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    Yeah, ADB devices are NOT hot-swappable. They're powered, and can arc and melt your ADB circuit if you try to hot swap them.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Geez, I hot swapped ADB stuff left and right on my Beige, nothing ever fried (though it doesn't work in X anymore...)

Also hotswapped scsi stuff too...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by chych:

<strong>Geez, I hot swapped ADB stuff left and right on my Beige, nothing ever fried (though it doesn't work in X anymore...)

Also hotswapped scsi stuff too...</strong><hr></blockquote>

VERY BAD. This is the developers of USB products say "HOT SWAPPABLE." It's because you can do it unlike before.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    [quote]Originally posted by chych:

<strong>Geez, I hot swapped ADB stuff left and right on my Beige, nothing ever fried (though it doesn't work in X anymore...)

Also hotswapped scsi stuff too...</strong><hr></blockquote>

i allway though it wuz a myth - but believe me it hurts your mac!