Installing an OCZ Vertex 3 SATA III in a mid-'07 iMac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a 24" aluminium iMac, mid-2007. I got an Apple reseller to install a 256 GB Samsung SSD nearly two years ago but it's becoming slower and slower lately. A simple thing like opening a text edit doc can sometimes take 15+ seconds. And open system prefs sometimes looks like it's frozen for a moment before the window populates. So I check out the SSD scene and it looks like the OCZ Vertex 3 SATA III is the best drive on the market right now. What about SATA III, will that be a problem for the Apple resellers when they attempt to install it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I got an Apple reseller to install a 256 GB Samsung SSD nearly two years ago but it's becoming slower and slower lately. A simple thing like opening a text edit doc can sometimes take 15+ seconds.

Have you tried formatting it again? Clone the OS to an external, boot from it and do a single pass zero overwrite for the whole SSD drive and then clone the system back on.

Also, if you have manually enabled TRIM for a drive that doesn't work well with it, you should disable it.

Quote:

So I check out the SSD scene and it looks like the OCZ Vertex 3 SATA III is the best drive on the market right now.

It has fast performance but you can't just go on that. OCZ have the worst reliability of all SSDs. You can see people all the time with problems on their forum. I'd say Samsung 830 series, Intel 520 series, Crucial M4 or Corsair Force would be better options having exhausted repair options on your current drive.

Quote:

What about SATA III, will that be a problem for the Apple resellers when they attempt to install it?

SATA 3 is backwards compatible but you can probably get a SATA 2 drive cheaper and that they will be operating at the same speed.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Thanks Marv.