iPad 2 inventory shows first signs of drawdown ahead of new model's unveiling

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Availability of the iPad 2 in Apple's online store has remained strong leading up to Wednesday's media event, but on Tuesday the company's U.K. store saw estimated shipping times for one model slip to 1-3 business days.

U.K. customers attempting to place an order for the white 64-gigabyte Wi-Fi iPad 2 are now presented with the brief wait time for their order. New iPad 2 orders for all other models, including the black 64-gigabyte version, are all advertised as in stock and expected to ship within 24 hours.

The slower turnaround time for one model could be the first public sign of Apple drawing down inventory of its second-generation tablet in anticipation of the new third-generation model. Apple's next iPad is expected to be unveiled at a media event on Wednesday.

There have been suggestions that Apple could continue to sell the iPad 2 at a reduced price alongside a new model. But rumors have generally presumed that an entry-level iPad 2 would be a single model available in one capacity, much like how the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 are only available in 8 gigabytes, or half that of the least expensive iPhone 4S model.

If Apple were to continue selling the iPad 2 at a reduced rate, whether it were to be in a 16-gigabyte capacity or a new 8-gigabyte size, it's unlikely that the company would continue to build and sell higher-capacity models like the 64-gigabyte version now seeing minor shortages in the U.K.

While the new wait in shipping times appeared in the U.K. store on Tuesday, there is not yet any sign of an inventory drawdown in Apple's online store in the U.S. There, all models and capacities remain advertised as "in stock."

Last year, after the iPad 2 was announced, Apple discounted all models of the first-generation iPad by $100 in an effort to help clear out inventory. Refurbished first-generation models could also be bought for as little as $349.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Ummm Are they going to sell them the old model?? By the time they process the order the new one will be out. I'd be pissed having to send it back. I guess some people won't know they've been sold an obsolete model until after the return time is up! And some might never realize at all.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

Ummm Are they going to sell them the old model??

That's what they bought, so yes. Of course they will.

Quote:

By the time they process the order the new one will be out. I'd be pissed having to send it back.

Good for you. That's how it works. Very many wouldn't care.

Quote:

I guess some people won't know they've been sold an obsolete model until after the return time is up!

If you're buying an iPad 2 today, you either 1. couldn't care less 2. are living under a rock 3. deserve it for not researching purchases before making them.

Quote:

And some might never realize at all.

Which is why it doesn't matter. Apple isn't a charity. You get what you pay for. And they paid for an iPad 2.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Which is why it doesn't matter. Apple isn't a charity. You get what you pay for. And they paid for an iPad 2.

Well, I do agree with everything you said BUT I'd still be pissed if the next day they came out with iPad 3, dropped the price of iPad 2 by, lets say, $100 and kept it in their product line, without refunding me that $100. BUT you are right. It is a Yankee Trading system... Buyer Beware!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Well, I do agree with everything you said BUT I'd still be pissed if the next day they came out with iPad 3, dropped the price of iPad 2 by, lets say, $100 and kept it in their product line, without refunding me that $100. BUT you are right. It is a Yankee Trading system... Buyer Beware!

You have 14 days to return what you just bought for the new model, remember.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You have 14 days to return what you just bought for the new model, remember.

They'd probably just offer a $100 back instead of potentially losing the whole transaction.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They'd probably just offer a $100 back instead of potentially losing the whole transaction.

Have you SEEN the iPad 3? They're not gonna lose the transaction. People will just upgrade.

Oh, wait, you haven't.