Notebooks, iMacs and Retina, oh my!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Today's announcement has obviously upped the stakes considerably in the resolution department. Anyone who has used an iPhone 4 or 4S will appreciate how big of a difference there is between Retina and older displays.

Where does this leave the notebooks and iMacs? Of course, "Retina" seems to have a moveable definition, based around the distance between users' eyes and the device. Also, computers differ in their use of resolution, in at they are able to scale elements to suit. So it's not immediately apparent what exactly would constitute a Retina display on a 17" MBP or 11" MBA, to say nothing of an iMac. Perhaps the 27" iMac already qualifies as Retina at three feet...

But one thing's for sure: the notebook screens are going to look pretty crappy beside the iPad 3 screen. What can Apple do? What would be acceptable as Retina in the notebooks? Would it be feasible from a cost point of view (remember, they will sell a lot more iPads than notebooks)?

I'm curious about what people think...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    It's not just Apple that has this huge discrepancy, I think it is completely ridiculous that we now have 10 inch tablets with resolutions with 1920x1080 and up and so called 13 inch Ultrabooks with only a paltry rez of 1366x768. There are15 inch notebooks that cost more then 2 grand that also have crappy resolutions.

There is no reason why Apple can't install a 1080p screen on the entire Macbook lineup all the way down to the 11 inch Macbook Air. At least have it as a option, I would pay for it, my eye site is incredible. All the love goes to a computer with a phone OS at its core. I'm calling BS, shame on you Apple, you suck sometimes it's the year 2013. I'm not asking for rocket packs, though that would be cool but come on.

Asus sees to be the only company to get it. There the only manufacture who produces Ultrabooks and Tablets with higher resolutions then the norm.