Apple updates GarageBand, iBooks Author, iPhoto for Mac and iWorks, iLife, Find, Remote apps for iOS

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

Apple has updated GarageBand and iPhoto for Mac to update compatibility with new iOS versions while adding new feature and fixing bugs. A variety of iOS apps have also been updated for the Retina Display of the new iPad.

GarageBand 6.0.5 adds compatibility for projects from its iOS counterpart, while fixing playback issues with Lesson previews and correcting issues with "some software instruments triggering incorrect or stuck notes."

iBooks Author 1.1 adds support for creating books that take advantage of the new iPad's Retina Display, while also adding performance and stability improvements.

iPhoto 9.2.2 now allows users to delete individual images from Photo Stream, "addresses compatibility with iCloud and iOS 5," and lets users navigate left and right with swipe gestures while in Magnify mode.

The new update also now displays previously imported photos in a separate section of the import window, enhances theme and card categories for books and calendars, fixes printing issues with some book pages, and saves slideshows and books properly when rebuilding a library.

Apple also updated a wide variety of its iOS apps, primarily to add Retina Display support for the new iPad, but also adding a variety of minor features and bug and performance fixes.

iBooks 2.1 adds finger highlighting and page numbering to match printed books along with performance tweaks. iTunes U 1.1 similarly adds Retina Display support and speed fixes.

Pages, Keynote and Numbers 1.6 add animated 3D charting, presentation builds and transitions and performance enhancements

iMovie 1.3 adds support for GarageBand song import, music and sound effect previews in the Audio Browser and support for creating Trailers on iPhone 4 or iPad 2 or newer devices

GarageBand 1.2 adds iCloud support, Track Merge, orchestral Smart Strings and a Note Editor for fine tuning a touch instrument recording. iPad users can connect over WiFi or Bluetooth to make music together using the new Jam Session. Songs can be shared to FaceBook, SoundCloud and YouTube.

Find My Friends 1.1 and Find My iPhone 1.4 both add bug fixes, stability enhancements and Retina Display support. Remote 2.3 adds iTunes Match support for the new Apple TV software along with Retina Display support.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    oberpongooberpongo Posts: 182member
    So does iPhoto for Mac support the new journal feature from iPhoto for iOS?
  • Reply 2 of 25
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Warning before you try to update: these are (mostly) MUCH bigger apps now! I have several Apple apps, and all told I needed to find an extra 1GB of free space to install them.

iMovie and GarageBand probably now have new audio content included, and all of them have retina graphics. Still, that doesn?t fully explain to me the increase in Pages and Numbers. Quadrupling their UI image data still shouldn?t end up THAT big, I?d have thought!

iBooks, oddly, is now smaller...
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Dan, your link for the new Apple TV software at the bottom/last paragrapgh is broken or on a loop if click from within the article (http error if from within here)
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Warning before you try to update: these are (mostly) MUCH bigger apps now! I have several Apple apps, and all told I needed to find an extra 1GB of free space to install them.

iMovie and GarageBand probably now have new audio content included, and all of them have retina graphics. Still, that doesn?t fully explain to me the increase in Pages and Numbers. Quadrupling their UI image data still shouldn?t end up THAT big, I?d have thought!

iBooks, oddly, is now smaller...

GarageBand is on 801MB

On a side note, latest event is now available as a podcast i.e. can watch it on an HDTV with 1st gen. aTV instead on a computer (I can't AirPlay mine - no HW)
  • Reply 5 of 25
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Another keynote passes without any mention of updates to the Mac versions of iWork and iLife. As a Mac user who's not all that bothered about the iOS stuff I'm starting to feel like a second class citizen. Every opportunity he gets Tim Cook blurts on about how iPhone/iPad is now 70% of Apple's business. What he doesn't say, but is clearly implied if you read between the lines, is that this is a justification for them to slowly slide the Mac and it's software further and further down the pecking order at Apple. I hope I?m wrong but we?ll see.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Another keynote passes without any mention of updates to the Mac versions of iWork and iLife. As a Mac user who's not all that bothered about the iOS stuff I'm starting to feel like a second class citizen. Every opportunity he gets Tim Cook blurts on about how iPhone/iPad is now 70% of Apple's business. What he doesn't say, but is clearly implied if you read between the lines, is that this is a justification for them to slowly slide the Mac and it's software further and further down the pecking order at Apple. I hope I?m wrong but we?ll see.

Easy over there, Fish & Chips, last I heard, Mac's margin is still the biggest for Apple, I'm sure in time, Mac will get its fair share of updates ... Cook's trying to roll out one thing at a time "we are just getting started ..." next up, Mac update, then iPhone 5/4G, then dividends, then, Apple TV ... "we have lot more goodies coming ... "

AAPL 650 Jan 2013!!!
  • Reply 7 of 25
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

I hope I’m wrong but we’ll see.

Of course you're wrong! Mac is stronger than ever, and selling more than ever. And I bet that a lot of new first time Mac buyers are people who have iOS devices.

Did you expect them to talk about the Mac today, when today was the day of the new iPad?
  • Reply 8 of 25
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkPeople View Post

Easy over there, Fish & Chips, last I heard, Mac's margin is still the biggest for Apple, I'm sure in time, Mac will get its fair share of updates ... Cook's trying to roll out one thing at a time "we are just getting started ..." next up, Mac update, then iPhone 5/4G, then dividends, then, Apple TV ... "we have lot more goodies coming ... "

AAPL 650 Jan 2013!!!

Doesn't really help when I'm after new Mac versions of iWork and iLfe.

Not bothered about the iPhone 5, we don't have 4G here, don't have any shares so don't care about dividends, not really that interested in the AppleTV.

The iOS toys are great products but I'm more interested in the Mac stuff seeing as I spend 12 hours a day sitting in front of my Mac.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Where was Scott Forestall? He's usually the guy who presents iOS things and updates. Is he gone? Was he demoted? It's a big deal to be a part of an Apple presentation. Not being one of the presenters seems like a demotion to me.

I liked the iPhoto app the best.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Was he demoted?

The next Steve Jobs? Demoted? I think not.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Where was Scott Forestall? He's usually the guy who presents iOS things and updates. Is he gone? Was he demoted? It's a big deal to be a part of an Apple presentation. Not being one of the presenters seems like a demotion to me.

There was no new major iOS presentation, so it's not strange that he wasn't on stage.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    iWorks?
  • Reply 13 of 25
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Apple has already started the ball rolling on heavy Mac focus this year. It's not their biggest cash cow but it's big and responsible for the most profit in the traditional PC industry.

They started with ML which will be out this year and a new major updated yearly, just like iOS (I think that it may also be a free yearly update to Mac users). There is also evidence mounting for a revamp of the MBPs in just a couple months with will liekly have the ODD removed and a HiDPI display.

I would expect any Mac software to be updated at the next Mac event. It was never going to come at an iPad/iOS focused event.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Another keynote passes without any mention of updates to the Mac versions of iWork and iLife. As a Mac user who's not all that bothered about the iOS stuff I'm starting to feel like a second class citizen.

You make it sound like they have stopped updating completely. But have gotten many updates. Plus iLife was revamped only a year ago. As for iWork, what is so broken they need to completely revamp it
  • Reply 15 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

As for iWork, what is so broken they need to completely revamp it

Nothing, I just want to see nice new features to keep it competitive. They always manage to make at least one "Yes, I DO need that!" or "Okay, I didn't know this existed but I'll never work without it again" feature in each release.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nothing, I just want to see nice new features to keep it competitive. They always manage to make at least one "Yes, I DO need that!" or "Okay, I didn't know this existed but I'll never work without it again" feature in each release.

I think it's more likely that you'll just see most of your UI "features" included in Mountain Lion for iWork and all the other apps as well... so who knows whether we really need much a revamp of iWork. As it is, it's pretty good. The only thing I think that would be missing compared to Microsoft's Word is an equation editor to allow equations for math. But other software like Mathematica or MATLAB, do this job much better (and MathType is not on par), so I wouldn't hope for Apple trying to include this type of feature in Pages or other applications. They could do with more transitions and themes to Keynote, though. PowerPoint is better in that regard, having a greater variety of themes and templates.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    So how, exactly, does the iOS iPhoto sync to/from the Mac iPhoto? Do just the edited versions sync? Does iOS iPhoto have the same concept of Originals and edited versions? Do both sync between devices, either directly or via iCloud?

I'm sure the answers will come in time, but unfortunately Apple will leave it up to the users to experiment with trial and error to figure it out for ourselves and then share on the message boards.

I miss the days of user manuals where we could just look up the answers instead of having to scouring the internet hunting for them... \
  • Reply 18 of 25
    godzillagodzilla Posts: 156member
    Quote:

I read a Twitter post from some Insider or whatnot there that Tim Cook, Jony Ive, and Scott Forestall were all having a very animated (I assume he meant fun/lively/bro-down) conversation in the front row sometime during the Presentation. I'd love to have heard what they were talking about. The Dream Team!! Those three are quintessential to the future of Apple. Steve Jobs was an all in one, but with those next of kins, it's like all 3 of his separate strongest aspects.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Finally in the UK we get miles instead of km!
  • Reply 20 of 25
    tsun zutsun zu Posts: 72member
    Quote:

Do you understand that this was an iPad event? Why on earth they will talk about iWorks there? They didn't talk about iPhones here as well. That does not mean they will stop working on iPhones.

Macs and associated software will get their focus in due time. For your info, they held an entire event on Macs last year and this is just the begining of 2012.

[BTW: I think you intentionally started this to stirr some heated comments. It worked but don't overdo it.]