iPhone 4S now?; iPhone 5 later?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hi! I am new here and am desperately looking for some help. I am a very indecisive person when it comes to making these types of decision, but I don't know if I should wait for the iPhone 5 or just get the iPhone 4S now! I recently got into Apple products and I love them! It just seems that the release of the iPhone 5 is so far away lol.....I am curious to know what you think. Thanks in advance to those who take the time to respond!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    The iPhone 5 is already out. You know it as the iPhone 4S.

The next iPhone won't be until October. If you can wait, do whatever you want, but there's nothing wrong with the iPhone 4S.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    technarchytechnarchy Posts: 296member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jooney View Post

Hi! I am new here and am desperately looking for some help. I am a very indecisive person when it comes to making these types of decision, but I don't know if I should wait for the iPhone 5 or just get the iPhone 4S now! I recently got into Apple products and I love them! It just seems that the release of the iPhone 5 is so far away lol.....I am curious to know what you think. Thanks in advance to those who take the time to respond!

Get the i4S. The next iPhone is too far away to worry about.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jooneyjooney Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

Thanks to all of you that took the time to respond. I know these types of questions can be annoying sometimes, but as I said before, I am very indecisive when it comes to things like this. I always try to do research on product that I am interested in..helps me make a decision a little easier. I think I am definitely going for the iPhone 4S next week! I have Garage Band, DJ, Sketchbook, and a whole lot of other apps on my iPad 2 that I would love to use at work and other places. Basically, it'd be a lot easier and convenient to carry around. I guess you're right, Technarchy, the iPhone 5 is too far to worry about... After all, tomorrow isn't promised to us... why not enjoy it while I still can.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:

Maybe not, the last refresh was delayed significantly - I expect it was due to Steve's health issues and preparations for the handover. Mostly, the iPhone has been released in either June or July. It could easily be launched in 3 months at WWDC along with iOS 6.

It's something to consider when taking out a contract on a 4S. You may get an upgrade option but you may not and you don't want to be stuck with a 4S for a couple of years if the next iPhone gets quad-core graphics, possibly a bigger screen (4") and 4G networking.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Maybe not, the last refresh was delayed significantly - I expect it was due to Steve's health issues and preparations for the handover. Mostly, the iPhone has been released in either June or July. It could easily be launched in 3 months at WWDC along with iOS 6.

Possible but probably unlikely when demand remains strong for the i4S on all 3 carriers, and a summer release would mean the i4S would be killed off in 8 months. Apple doesn't normally cut their releases that short either.

iPhone

4 and 8 GB: June 29, 2007

16 GB: February 5, 2008

iPhone 3G

16 GB: June 8, 2009

Black 8 GB: June 4, 2010

iPhone 3GS

16 and 32 GB: June 19, 2009

Black 8 GB: June 24, 2010

iPhone 4

GSM (Black): June 24, 2010

CDMA (Black): February 10, 2011

White: April 28, 2011

8 GB: October 4, 2011 (Available from Oct 14, 2011)

iPhone 4S

October 14, 2011
  • Reply 6 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

?a summer release would mean the i4S would be killed off in 8 months. Apple doesn't normally cut their releases that short either.

Exactly. We've moved to an October cycle and that's that. The iPods aren't worthy of their own keynote anymore, so something has to fill the gap in the fall. An October iPhone also gives developers that much more time to play with the new version of iOS announced at WWDC that year.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Possible but probably unlikely when demand remains strong for the i4S on all 3 carriers, and a summer release would mean the i4S would be killed off in 8 months. Apple doesn't normally cut their releases that short either.

iPhone

4 and 8 GB: June 29, 2007

16 GB: February 5, 2008

iPhone 3G

16 GB: June 8, 2009

Black 8 GB: June 4, 2010

iPhone 3GS

16 and 32 GB: June 19, 2009

Black 8 GB: June 24, 2010

iPhone 4

GSM (Black): June 24, 2010

CDMA (Black): February 10, 2011

White: April 28, 2011

8 GB: October 4, 2011 (Available from Oct 14, 2011)

iPhone 4S

October 14, 2011

Thanks for sharing the iPhone history. As per your assumption the newest iPhone will come after 8 months means it will come on April or May 2012.