Home network

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

At home I have a ADSL connection.

It comes in at ground floor where right now 2 computers use it (just by switching cables), so not at the same time.

Now I would like to put a computer upstairs and get it connected to the net (obviously not by simply switching cables).

How do I share this internet connection?

What cable should I use to go from downstairs to upstairs? (gigabit? shielded?) Can I later connect a 2nd room upstairs. I heard I need a router for this, which one should I buy? .

So simply: I have an ADSL connection downstairs, I wanna connect 2 computers on it downstairs and one upstairs , what's the best way to do this?

tia

Olli

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    get yourself a router.

(I have no Idea where to get one in the states.)
  • Reply 2 of 8
    olliolli Posts: 39member
    [quote]Originally posted by Defiant:

<strong>get yourself a router.

(I have no Idea where to get one in the states.)</strong><hr></blockquote>

That I heard already (see my post , it's in it).

I want to know which one is best. how to configure it (does the router itself connects to the ADSL server? and keeps connection up?)

Oh yes , and Belgium is not in the U. States.

It's about 900km from where you live
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I searched <a href="http://www.practicallynetworked.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.practicallynetworked.com/</a>;

a bit , and there are so many choices.

Basically what I want:

-I want it to be fast.

-4 ports is sufficient

-To not drop DSL connection.

-I want to be able to easily open ports (to put servers on my little lan (like a game server for example --&gt; mostly different ports) )

-ease of configuration is not that important , once it works well , I shouldn't need to touch it alot anymore

now what is my best choice?

I think LinkSys isn't (lack mac support to update firmware).

On first view netgear and asante seem fine home routers. Any advice is appreciated.

thx

Olli

netgear and asante reviews:

<a href="http://www.practicallynetworked.com/review.asp?pid=320&p=1"; target="_blank">http://www.practicallynetworked.com/review.asp?pid=320&p=1</a>;

<a href="http://www.practicallynetworked.com/review.asp?pid=293&p=1"; target="_blank">http://www.practicallynetworked.com/review.asp?pid=293&p=1</a>;
  • Reply 4 of 8
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    i have a zyxel prestige 600 router for my dsl.

i got a couple of mac's (and a indy) that i want to connect to the internet.

i'm gonna:

-get myself a ethernet-hub with 8 ports

-connect it to the router

-get myself some ethernet cables (crossover/cat 5 will do)

-connect the cables from the hub to my baby's

-enjoy!

because my dsl uses dhcp i don't have to give each baby a ip number - this is automaticly given from the router. just set up the network-controllpanel to dhcp, tip in the routers address and that should be it!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I have the following setup which works great:

Connected to the phone (ADSL) a Zyxel 642ME modem. The 10/100 ethernet port on the modem is connected to an ethernet switch with connections going out to four computers. The modem works as a DHCP server for up to four computers. You have a local network and all connected computers can access the ADSL line simultaniously. If you don't have a switch box yet or need more than four IP addresses you can buy an ADSL router.

Hope that helps
  • Reply 6 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by peve:

<strong>i have a zyxel prestige 600 router for my dsl.

i got a couple of mac's (and a indy) that i want to connect to the internet.

i'm gonna:

-get myself a ethernet-hub with 8 ports

-connect it to the router

-get myself some ethernet cables (crossover/cat 5 will do)

-connect the cables from the hub to my baby's

-enjoy!

because my dsl uses dhcp i don't have to give each baby a ip number - this is automaticly given from the router. just set up the network-controllpanel to dhcp, tip in the routers address and that should be it!</strong><hr></blockquote>

And how about setting up a server behind the router? no problems to open ports etc?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I use a Linksys BEFSR41 to do pretty much the same thing -- works like a charm, and it's child's play to set up.

If you have more than 4 "things" (see below -- each computer or MP3 player is a "thing") that you want to plug into your network, get the 8-port version (BEFSR81). If you want wireless (I *highly* recommend it), you can either get a Linksys router with integrated wireless access point (BEFW11S4), or you can plug an external access point (e.g. an Airport) into the BEFSR41. I'd go with an integrated router/AP -- one less box to worry about, and it's going to be cheaper. (I have the Airport because at the time I bought it 2 years ago, it was the cheapest alternative.)

I have a Windows PC, an iMac, a Dell Digital Audio Receiver, and an Airport Base Station for the 802.11b-equipped laptop that I take home from the office to do my work on. They all share my DSL line through the Linksys.

Setup was pretty much plug and play -- if your PCs are configured to do DHCP now (I assume they are), then all you do is to plug the router's "WAN" port into the DSL modem's Ethernet port, and then plug all your PC Ethernet cables into the various "LAN" ports on your Linksys. If you have to log into your DSL provider's network, you can configure the Linksys through a web-based interface -- very simple. The manual is very clear.

If you don't want to run a cable upstairs (it could be a pain!), then wireless is a *really* attractive option, as long as the wireless signal propagates through the floor properly. That depends on your house. Even though wireless is "only" 11 Mbps, the bottleneck is likely going to be the DSL line, unless you have a *really* expensive/high-end DSL line, so don't worry about wireless degrading your Internet access speed. (Most consumer DSL lines are less than 0.5 Mbps.)

Other vendors (e.g. SMC) may have similar products -- I'm familiar with the Linksys because I once downloaded a firmware upgrade from their web site

(linksys.com), and did some looking around while I was at it.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with any of the vendors I mentioned above, except as a customer.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    So what about this setup?

I have a :

QuickSilver G4 running Jaguar =)

iMac DV running Jaguar =)

I have an airport base station and an airport card in my G4. I have an ethernet hub and a bunch of cables.

How do I setup internet sharing? I know I just press the button in the Internet Sharing controls in Jaguar but how do I setup the iMac? Basically Airport into my G4, then I connect a cable from my G4 to a hub and out to the iMac.

What do I set for IPs?