New G4 drives and modems

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just recieved my new Dual Gig "wind tunnel" and I had a few problems installing some of the parts from my old B&W. First off I went to install a extra ATA 66 drive and I needed to change the jumpers on the built in ATA 100 drive but I couldn't get the ATA100 Chasis out. They have a great design were you just pull a tab and it all comes out. That worked great on my ATA 66 chasis but the ATA 100 tab was really stuck. I finally got it out but then the chasis it self still wouldn't slide up and out no matter how hard I pushed on it. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I was also hoping to install my old internal modem from my G3 B&W but it appears that it won't work with this model. Anyone have any advice where to get a internal modem for the new duals now that I've already passed on the one apple ships with it? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    scadboyscadboy Posts: 189member
    Your best bet is going to either buy an external USB modem or talk to your local mac dealer about buying it as a service part. It's going to be some time, if ever, before Apple offers that modem separately from it's website, but you should be able to get your local mac retailer / repair outlet to order one, but it will cost an arm and a leg compared to an external USB modem.

An external modem will set you back between $50 and $100, I'd wager that ordering the Apple internal model through your local mac reseller will cost you upwards of $100 by the time you're through. Bet you wish you hadn't cheaped out on the $29, eh?

As far as the harddrive goes, uh, hmmm... no clue here.

ciao,

michael