Airport + USB ADSL

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am about to move house and will be changing from an ntl cable modem that has both USB and ethernet connectors to a BTOpenworld ADSL account that comes with an intel 3220 USB only modem.

The problem: how the hell do I connect this to my Airport to set up my wireless network?

BT do supply an ethernet based modem but only as part of a commercial package for small businesses that cost 4 times the price.

Does anyone have any experience, advice or links so that when I call them tomorrow to give them hell I know what I am talking about.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    scadboyscadboy Posts: 189member
    The only thing that comes to mind is to use "Internet Sharing" under Jaguar, essentially connecting the modem to your primary mac, and then setting up your mac as a software basestation. You need jaguar to do this, and it's a less than ideal situation, otherwise I'd recommend finding an alternate ADSL modem that has ethernet and is compatible with your service.

Find out exactly what make and model is offered in the more expensive package and try to find it on ebay or even <a href="http://www.shopper.com."; target="_blank">www.shopper.com.</a> I gaurentee you'll find it for a fraction of what they want to charge you for it.

When you call them, get the exact model number of the other modem, find it, price it out, buy it. Then sign up for the regular consumer level service. Just swap out the USB modem for the ethernet one.

I'd bet they bundle a USB modem with the consumer level service for the very purpose of preventing i.p. sharing.

hope this helps

ciao,

michael
  • Reply 2 of 2
    It looks like I'll follow your advice.

I can't/won't use internet connection sharing as that nullifies most of the benefits of having the airport base station. I will be buying a replacement for the USB based ADSL modem. Thanks.