New iPhoto and iMovie apps can be manually copied to the original iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Apple's new iPhoto app, as well as iMovie, can't be purchased on the original 2010 iPad or installed on it using iTunes, but they can be installed manually using Apple's iPhone Configuration Utility.

Apple doesn't support iPhoto on the original iPad, presumably because it lacks a camera, the same factor that apparently prevented iMovie from working on that model. However, both iMovie and iPhoto can be manually copied to the original iPad and both seem to work fine.

All that's required is Apple's free iPhone Configuration Utility, available at http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/enterprise/ as a tool for companies to use in installing apps and configuration policy profiles to the fleets of iOS devices they use.

Once the utility is installed (Apple provides a Mac and Windows version), you can plug your iPad in via USB and select the apps you want to manually install by adding them to the library. After you buy the apps in iTunes, they'll be within your Music folder under iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications.

Once they're in the Configuration Utility library, you can click the Install button for each app from the Application tab of the device you want to install them on. The utility will copy the files over, and the app will then appear on your iPad and work normally.

Beyond lacking a camera, iPhoto and iMovie seem to work well enough on the original iPad, although it lacks the horsepower of the newer iPad 2, and the additional memory of the newest iPad. It also lacks a camera, so you obviously can't use the recording features of the latest iMovie.

You can't use the simpler Configurator app Apple just released in the Mac App Store to install the apps you've bought in iTunes, as it requires a redemption code for installing paid apps on other devices.

After installing iMovie and iPhoto on the original iPad, iTunes may give warnings that it is no longer authorized for apps on your iPad. Click Authorize and it will dismiss the alert; if you click Don't Authorize, it will remove the apps you installed manually.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Indeed. I've had iMovie on mine since launch. Haven't downloaded iPhoto yet. For once I'll actually probably wait for its first bug fix update before I try it.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After installing iMovie and iPhoto on the original iPad, iTunes may give warnings that it is no longer authorized for apps on your iPad. Click Authorize and it will dismiss the alert; if you click Don't Authorize, it will remove the apps you installed manually.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Hmmm- I get an infinite loop of authorization and not authorized. So, it's not working for me.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    Odd -- I was able to install iMovie onto my iPad on Wednesday just fine, but I removed it and now I can't re-install it due to requiring a front facing camera.

Also, you can't actually take photos with the new iPhoto app, correct? If so, why is Apple requiring a front facing camera to use it?
  • Reply 4 of 48
    jappa-dappa-doo... zänk you for the heads up!
  • Reply 5 of 48
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    clicking install on the iPhoto app in the configuration utility gives me a pinwheel of doom and nothing appears to snap the app back out of it. anyone else?

[edit] never mind, it appears iTunes was updating and that was causing a slow down. after the iPad to iTunes update it installed and is working happily. Very nice.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umijin View Post

Hmmm- I get an infinite loop of authorization and not authorized. So, it's not working for me.

I get the same thing.. iPhoto installed, but the authorization/not authorization is in a loop.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    I have the 1st generation iPad. I purchased iPhoto on my iPhone 4s and then used this process to get iPhoto on my iPad and it worked great. very time I sync my iPad I have to cancel the authorization request and iPhoto stays on my iPad. iPhoto runs just fine on my iPad and the camera kit transfers photos to iPhoto with no issues.

I can only assume that Apple decided to exclude the 1st generation iPad because it doesn't have a build in camera or maybe because it doesn't have the A5 processor. Who knows.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

clicking install on the iPhoto app in the configuration utility gives me a pinwheel of doom and nothing appears to snap the app back out of it. anyone else?

[edit] never mind, it appears iTunes was updating and that was causing a slow down. after the iPad to iTunes update it installed and is working happily. Very nice.

I got the spin wheel of doom and I waited for a while and eventually it went away. iPhoto mobile is a good size file and it doesn't copy right away. Give it some time.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    shadowxprshadowxpr Posts: 162member
    Has anyone try it with Photoshop touch?
  • Reply 10 of 48
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I have the 1st generation iPad. I purchased iPhoto on my iPhone 4s and then used this process to get iPhoto on my iPad and it worked great. very time I sync my iPad I have to cancel the authorization request and iPhoto stays on my iPad. iPhoto runs just fine on my iPad and the camera kit transfers photos to iPhoto with no issues.

I can only assume that Apple decided to exclude the 1st generation iPad because it doesn't have a build in camera or maybe because it doesn't have the A5 processor. Who knows.

I can see why they didn't authorize it for the original iPad because it doesn't have a camera but is there any performance issues with any aspect of the app that could be a reason why it wasn't included. After all the original iPad has a paltry 128MB RAM yet the app supports 19Mpx images and looks pretty lick in the video by allowing you to scroll through many photos quickly.

I could see a small number and/or small size photo working fairly well on the original iPad but is it really just an artificial limitation or is there a technical one, too? Sure, Apple could have made the app simpler and less powerful like the PS app but I'd think that would get just as many complaints and likely not sell as well.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Tanks for for the info. Works perfectly. Just posted a journal on iCloud made on my iPod touch.

J.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    funkdisfunkdis Posts: 41member
    Clearly these inhouse apps do seem to run just fine on 1st gen products, but apple is forcing you to purchase a new device to be able to use these $5 apps on.

My 1st ipad was just one year old and the ipad 2 made it feel completely outdated because of these apps. I do hope they do not eliminate PC's. I like to have my PC for at least 3-4 years, and even then I can run all apps just fine on it. My ipad wont last more than one generation.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

After all the original iPad has a paltry 128MB RAM yet the app supports 19Mpx images and looks pretty lick in the video by allowing you to scroll through many photos quickly.

Wrong. iPad 1 has 256MB. But it still may not be enough. Although one could force close all other apps before launching iPhoto and it may run fine.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Do high-end video workstations have a "built-in cameras"? 'ell no
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcartesius View Post

Do high-end video workstations have a "built-in cameras"? 'ell no

There is the problem. Apple isn't marketing this as a high-end video/photography workstation where the editing HW is different from the camera HW. I think it was Phil Schiller that stated during the event that it can be used as an "everyday camera" though I'm sure many here will comment on how inferior it is to a real camera it seems clear why Apple has made the decisions they did.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    As a keen photographer I found it really useful to upload a set of images from my DSLR onto my original iPad (using the camera connection kit) to see them at a decent size 'in the field' -surely the very reason for anybody buying this kit. Can't understand Apple not making iPhoto available for this model because with the connection kit and Photostream all iPads have a ready source of images and the need to edit them. It does seem to be an artificial limitation designed to promote dissatisfaction with what is still a really excellent piece of kit. Thanks for the workaround but come on Apple - do the right thing!
  • Reply 17 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john_l_uk View Post

As a keen photographer I found it really useful to upload a set of images from my DSLR onto my original iPad (using the camera connection kit) to see them at a decent size 'in the field' -surely the very reason for anybody buying this kit. Can't understand Apple not making iPhoto available for this model because with the connection kit and Photostream all iPads have a ready source of images and the need to edit them. It does seem to be an artificial limitation designed to promote dissatisfaction with what is still a really excellent piece of kit. Thanks for the workaround but come on Apple - do the right thing!

I have seen no evidence to support your conclusion that it's an "artificial" imitation.

Sure the app can be installed and run, but remember that the original iPad has 128MB RAM which means about half for apps. How large are the images on your DSLR? Can the iPhoto app even understand RAW format? What about the ability to quickly scroll through the apps the way they showed during the demo?

As we've seen over-and-over with Apple it's not about what is technically possible under certain circumstances but what is possible without negatively affecting the user experience. A example of Apple releasing SW they shouldn't have is iOS 4.0 on the iPhone 3G which made an overwhelming large number of iPhone 3Gs have their user experience severely degraded. Now did iOS 4.0 technically run on this devices? Sure, but that didn't stop people from saying that Apple shouldn't have released it and that Apple released it to cripple their iPhone 3G in order to force people to buy newer iPhones.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    adibadib Posts: 1member
    Just wondering if the same steps can be used to install WhatsApp on the iPad without jailbreaking.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adib View Post

Just wondering if the same steps can be used to install WhatsApp on the iPad without jailbreaking.

It can. I have done this last week. The problem is that the server doesn't seem to accept the device. So I didn't get it registered with my iPhone number.

J.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Sure the app can be installed and run, but remember that the original iPad has 128MB RAM which means about half for apps. How large are the images on your DSLR? Can the iPhoto app even understand RAW format? What about the ability to quickly scroll through the apps the way they showed during the demo?

As someone already pointed out the original iPad had 256 MB DDR RAM and not 128MB as you have said twice now. Granted the iPad 2 had twice that amount and apparently the newest iPad has 1GB. Your point may be valid to a degree but stop saying 128MB.