Ahh!! Powerbook audio sounds blown!!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is it possible that I somehow "blew" my audio out on my new Powerbook? Suddenly after playing the Lord of the Rings DVD using the 1/8" to stereo cable through my sound system, all sound from iTunes, whether through my stereo, the built in speakers on the 'book, or headphones, sounds crackly and all-too-similar to my car stereo speakers which have been blown for 3 years now.

Any experience with this?

- PEte

[ 08-23-2002: Message edited by: CoolHandPete ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Even if you blew the sound out on your speakers, the 1/8" jack shouldn't be affected by it. Are you sure your speaker cable isn't just dirty? Have you rebooted? I wouldn't suspect a hardware problem in this case if only for the reason that the audio out seems to be affected. It's got to be a software thing. Unless you have extremely bad luck. Have you tried booting into OS 9? Give it a try. Then reset the power manager and zap the pram (cmd+opt+p+r, let it bong three times at boot).
  • Reply 2 of 4
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    just turn down your volume, i've seen that happen before when something is cranked at 100%.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    alcimedes is right.

I think you could probably just be experiencing some clipping from having the volume turned up too high.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I had a problem with my G3's right-hand speaker (the cracking you might be talking about), and, as a matter of fact, read that it might be related to the power supply going bad, for, as you might have noticed, the power goes into your PwB right-hand-side. What exactly this means, or what you should do about it, I don't know. I sold mine.