New Install of OSX doesn't allow me to install OS updates

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
First, let me thank everyone on here for such a GREAT site! This is one of the reasons Apple is soaring to new demensions, a community where we are like brothers and sisters bonded by a common entity! Long live AI!

<br><br>

The question:<br><bR>

I have just installed OSX ver 10.1 on my Dual G4. When I go to Apples site and download the updates, the download itself works fine. (I start with 10.1.1) It gets put on my desktop and uncompresses. I then click the disk image to apply the update, and the normal reg screens pop up. BUT ... there is a screen with my HD and it doesnt give me the option to install into the HD. The HD icon never turns to a different color to allow me to install it into it. I've tried downloading other updates, ie: 10.1.3 - 10.1.5 but it gives me the same screen. Has apple disabled these files? Again, thanks for any insight you can contribute.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    take a look at the little lock icon in the lower left hand corner.

click on it to unlock it, then select your harddrive.

to unlock the icon (and get install options) you'll need to know an administrator password. that keeps people from just radomly installing stuff on your machine when you're not around.

give that a try and let me know how it goes.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    HI - Thanks for the speedy help, However, I get all the way to the "Select A Destination" area - and this is where it stops. None of the HD icons ever light up so that I can choose one? Any Thoughts? Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I've had the exact same problem.

- In my case, it got solved by applying the necessary 'SECURITY UPDATE's first. Check these out.

- Also, make sure you have picked the correct installer (e.g. to 10.1.5, there are two installers: one from 10.1.2 and below, and one for above. or something like that).

- Are you running MacOS X Server? Then you have to install the normal X updates AS WELL AS the Server-specific updates.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Thanks - but shoot - I just Partitioned my drive three ways - I guess ill start from scratch. Ill keep you posted. THANKS!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    DerKopf - THANKS!! Its working - You guys ROCK!!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    hey, everyone needs a bit of helpful advice now and then. just glad we could give it to you.

(although it sounds like der Koph's was a bit more helpful)