The iBook Author... I seek your advice...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi guys, I have a question...

So, here's my problem... I'm not a US citizen, so I can't publish to the iBookstore easily. (I read somewhere there are ways to register an ISBN, and stuff even if you are a foreigner, but ... way too complicated...)

I could technically get my busy (or lazy) brother (who is a US citizen) to get registered and I could technically have him sell the book, but still.. all that's a bit of a hassle...

So... how about if I zip the *.iba files and distribute them for free... and passcode-lock them? and sell the passcodes?

How would that work out?

What do you guys think?

Would I be looking at breaching the EULA by doing this, or since the iba file is still technically free and out in the open, would it be OK?

What if I didn't SELL the passcode? What if I just wanted a specific group of people to be able to access the iBook?

What if the zip file bundle had all the stuff in a pdf file (separately made) and although it's not as cool-multi-touch interactive, has essentially the same information, and the iba file is just a summarization all-in-one of the pdf? (because multimedia pdf files don't work on iPads) I'm selling the original pdf, and the iba file is "free" for the ones who bought the pdf file... (like in the pdf file, there's a DL link to the iba file..) Does that make sense?

What do you guys think??

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pkson View Post

Hi guys, I have a question...

So, here's my problem... I'm not a US citizen, so I can't publish to the iBookstore easily. (I read somewhere there are ways to register an ISBN, and stuff even if you are a foreigner, but ... way too complicated...)

I could technically get my busy (or lazy) brother (who is a US citizen) to get registered and I could technically have him sell the book, but still.. all that's a bit of a hassle...

So... how about if I zip the *.iba files and distribute them for free... and passcode-lock them? and sell the passcodes?

How would that work out?

What do you guys think?

Would I be looking at breaching the EULA by doing this, or since the iba file is still technically free and out in the open, would it be OK?

What if I didn't SELL the passcode? What if I just wanted a specific group of people to be able to access the iBook?

What if the zip file bundle had all the stuff in a pdf file (separately made) and although it's not as cool-multi-touch interactive, has essentially the same information, and the iba file is just a summarization all-in-one of the pdf? (because multimedia pdf files don't work on iPads) I'm selling the original pdf, and the iba file is "free" for the ones who bought the pdf file... (like in the pdf file, there's a DL link to the iba file..) Does that make sense?

What do you guys think??

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I want to develop iBooks too, maybe we should start a dedicated iBooks authoring and distribution thread somewhere on AppleInsider.

This is the future for anyone that is not prepared to jump into the red ocean of apps.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    pksonpkson Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Hi, I want to develop iBooks too, maybe we should start a dedicated iBooks authoring and distribution thread somewhere on AppleInsider.

This is the future for anyone that is not prepared to jump into the red ocean of apps.

Hi, yeah, I love iBooks Author, and having a dedicated thread would be awesome!

PK