iPad 2 trade-ins fetch up to $320 in Apple's official recycling program

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014


Apple has expanded its official Reuse and Recycling Program to accept trade-ins of the iPad 2, which will net users gift cards valued at up to $320 in exchange for the most expensive model.



Prices for the iPad 2 through Apple's trade-in program start at $205 for a 16-gigabyte Wi-Fi-only model in good condition. The highest possible trade-in value is for the 64-gigabyte 3G model in good condition, which is worth a $320 gift card.



Customers who want to trade in their iPad 2 to Apple must fill out a questionnaire about the condition of the device. The iPad is then mailed out in a prepaid package for evaluation.



Apple's trade-in program is done through PowerON, a company that estimates the fair market value of the product. PowerON also handles the shipping and evaluates the trade-ins at their own facility.



After the iPad 2 has been received and verified to be in the condition stated on the questionnaire, customers will receive their Apple Gift Card in the mail, and it can be used at any Apple Retail Store or the company's online store.



Trade-in values for the iPad 2 through Apple's program are as follows:



16GB Wi-Fi: $205



32GB Wi-Fi: $245



64GB Wi-Fi: $275



16GB 3G: $250



32GB 3G: $280



64GB 3G: $320











While it's another option for customers looking to upgrade from the iPad 2 to the new iPad, Apple's recycling program doesn't offer quite as much as some other options on the Internet. For example, those who trade in can receive $300 for a 16-gigabyte Wi-Fi-only iPad 2, while a perfect-condition high-end 64-gigabyte model with AT&T 3G connectivity has a trade-in value of $460 in Amazon gift cards.



The trade-in specialists at Gazelle also offer $260 for a Wi-Fi 16-gigabyte iPad in "flawless" condition, while an unblemished 64-gigabyte AT&T 3G model is worth $370 in trade-ins.



[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 16,947member
    Oh I nearly wet myself until I saw the 'on the highest price version'...
  • Reply 2 of 16
    I bought a Black 32GB 3GS for $300 right when it came out and sold it for $200 when the 4S came out.



    iPad 2: 60% loss in value over 1 year

    iPhone 3GS: 33% loss in value over 2.5 years



    Ok, so I only paid 300 for a phone that was really worth $750 before subsidies: 70% loss over 2.5 years
  • Reply 3 of 16
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    I would think most people could get find someone who would give them at least $250 for a used iPad2.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    halhikerhalhiker Posts: 110member
    If anyone is interested in selling ME their 64 GB 3G iPad2 for $320 I'd buy it. Cash money.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    $450 to $500 or so for 64GB wifi ipad 2 on craigslist or ebay
  • Reply 6 of 16
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post


    I bought a Black 32GB 3GS for $300 right when it came out and sold it for $200 when the 4S came out.



    iPad 2: 60% loss in value over 1 year

    iPhone 3GS: 33% loss in value over 2.5 years



    Ok, so I only paid 300 for a phone that was really worth $750 before subsidies: 70% loss over 2.5 years



    I guess the bolded part is true - if you go out of your way to sell to the lowest bidder. These prices aren't much more than half of what you'd get for selling iPads on eBay.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post


    I would think most people could get find someone who would give them at least $250 for a used iPad2.



    Yeah, I'm sure that'd be pretty easy. Obviously Apple is not offering a very good deal here. It'd only be worth it to someone who doesn't wanna fiddle with eBay/Craigslist.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    I guess the bolded part is true - if you go out of your way to sell to the lowest bidder. These prices aren't much more than half of what you'd get for selling iPads on eBay.



    Granted, $205 is from the lowest bidder, but you can't say you're going to get $400 when you can buy new for $400 tomorrow, and you can't say you're going to get $350 when you can already buy an Apple inspected refurb for $350. I'd say nobody is getting more than $300 at MOST for a used baseline iPad 2, not including selling to morons.



    So, revised:

    iPad 2: 60% loss in value over 1 year

    iPad 2 on eBay: 40% loss in 1 year

    iPhone 3GS: 33% loss in value over 2.5 years



    Interesting numbers regardless, right?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post


    Granted, $205 is from the lowest bidder, but you can't say you're going to get $400 when you can buy new for $400 tomorrow, and you can't say you're going to get $350 when you can already buy an Apple inspected refurb for $350. I'd say nobody is getting more than $300 at MOST for a used baseline iPad 2, not including selling to morons.



    So, revised:

    iPad 2: 60% loss in value over 1 year

    iPad 2 on eBay: 40% loss in 1 year

    iPhone 3GS: 33% loss in value over 2.5 years



    Interesting numbers regardless, right?



    You're being way too pessimistic. Look at eBay and the prices that are being obtained. Since the new iPad announcement:

    - 16 GB Verizon iPad 2 -- $397 with free shipping

    - 64 GB iPad 2 AT&T - $527 with free shipping

    - 16 GB WiFi iPad 2 - $345 with free shipping

    And so on



    These units hold their prices very well. You can easily get 50% more than the Apple price - and even better than that if you're lucky.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    These trade-in programs low-ball their offers.



    Sold my iPad 2 (64GB Wifi) for $525 just over a week ago.



    Granted, I might not get quite that now that the 3 is out, but $320 is a real undercut for that device.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Well I just sold my iPad 2 32GB 3G for 472.00 and my hardly used iPhone 4 32GB for 400 so I'm ready for Friday. I decided to say screw it and buy one. I really doubt my experiance will change much. After owning it for a week it will go back to just being my iPad. I did buy it in anticipation for the flood of HD music creation apps and iOS 6 will hopefully allow for mounting the iPad as a normal drive and give me a fricken file manager. Until then my iPad will just be my awesome music buddy and nothing else.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post


    Well I just sold my iPad 2 32GB 3G for 472.00 and my hardly used iPhone 4 32GB for 400 so I'm ready for Friday. I decided to say screw it and buy one. I really doubt my experiance will change much. After owning it for a week it will go back to just being my iPad. I did buy it in anticipation for the flood of HD music creation apps and iOS 6 will hopefully allow for mounting the iPad as a normal drive and give me a fricken file manager. Until then my iPad will just be my awesome music buddy and nothing else.



    Get Goodreader for iPad and you'll be set. They even have a USB utility for it. and you can connect to it over wiFi for acessing files if you don't have a cable. For a buck, it's a steal.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post


    Get Goodreader for iPad and you'll be set. They even have a USB utility for it. and you can connect to it over wiFi for acessing files if you don't have a cable. For a buck, it's a steal.



    Good reader huh thanks I'll try when I get my new iPad as I'm kind of iPadless at the moment.

    I can't wait to get it as I'm in hospital and won't leave here for another week maybe two so it would be nice to have it to past time. Eeeerrrr I have my other gadgets, though my bed is starting to look like a mine field and I think I'm pissing off the nurses to no end. Hehe I even have a Creative Labs wireless speaker on the shelf directly behind my head so I get that full cinema experience. Thank goodness I have a private room.



    When a tech head goes to the hosspital, a tell all story by Relic.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 493member
    Wow. $205 for a 16 gig wifi iPad 2. I got $425 for mine 2 weeks ago so I could upgrade. I'm already glad I ordered the 64 gig version this time, and I won't even receive it until tomorrow.



    Seriously... the trick to getting a good price used is craigslist, just before Apple announces the next model.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Aaaaaagh! I left $320 on the table! Why didn't I click that recycling checkbox when I ordered my iPad (3)?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    speaking of the Ipad 1... does anyone think that the model number A1337 is cool? ... it shows that it was either purposely numbered that way, or was the next in line... i doubt that it was next in line number... at the time the iPad, as a tablet was as elite as you coud get... (discounting the specs of the windows tablets at the time)



    why don't people just keep their old apple gear?.
Sign In or Register to comment.