New Dual 1Ghz comes with new error...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
HELP! Everytime my new dual 1ghz starts, I get this error messege:



Error: File "symfs.kext" has problems that may reduce the security of your computer.



Then it gives me 3 options: Fix and Use, Use or Don't Use. I've tried all 3 and the messege still comes up when the machine starts. It doesn't seem to actually effect anything, but it is annoying and shouldn't be happening at all.



This happened the 1st time I started, before I installed anything else... straight from Apple. I've tried reinstalling in place, but that had no effect. Anybody have any ideas? Thank you.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 10
    Wow. It sounds like Apple fudged up something in the install process when they built your Mac.



    Well, since it's still new and you probably don't have many files that need backed up, you should probably reformat the drive and use the System Restore CDs that came with it to reinstall everything clean.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by patmcfar8:

    <strong>It doesn't seem to actually effect anything, but it is annoying and shouldn't be happening at all.



    Anybody have any ideas? Thank you.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Not to contradict the great StarFleetX or anything but I say don't sweat it.



    I expect this will be worked out in 10.2.1



    I get this message in Jaguar about a different file.



    I think it is just some priv manager that is a little too strict or doesn't handle exceptions well.



    Rumor is we'll see 10.2.1 soon. Don't waste any more time on it.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    don't trust rumors. that's why the're called "rumors".



    just don't shut your mac off.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I get this same message everytime I startup Virtual PC. I never got the message using 10.1.x... <img src="confused.gif" border="0">
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Thanks for the replies. Now the warning comes up 3 times.



    I'll wait for the OS X update before I try anything else, since I have about ten programs up and running already. Any when the update will be out?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Just an FYI, none of the Macs I've installed Jaguar on (over a dozen now) have done what you're describing. A 10.2.1 update may fix the problem, but it may not. I would do what Brad suggested and wipe your HD and restore from the discs.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    OK, get this... as of yesterday the warnings no longer appear. Gone all togethor. So I guess it just fixed itself? Weird! Thanks for the help.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent:

    <strong>I get this same message everytime I startup Virtual PC. I never got the message using 10.1.x... :confused: </strong><hr></blockquote>



    I got the same thing with VPC 5 and 10.2.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,501member
    [quote]Originally posted by patmcfar8:

    <strong>HELP! Everytime my new dual 1ghz starts, I get this error messege:



    Error: File "symfs.kext" has problems that may reduce the security of your computer.



    Then it gives me 3 options: Fix and Use, Use or Don't Use. I've tried all 3 and the messege still comes up when the machine starts. It doesn't seem to actually effect anything, but it is annoying and shouldn't be happening at all.



    This happened the 1st time I started, before I installed anything else... straight from Apple. I've tried reinstalling in place, but that had no effect. Anybody have any ideas? Thank you.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    LOL, you have Norton utilities installed don't you? That is the Symantec File System kernel extention. It is incompatible with Jaguar without the latest update, and since they have live update it is possible that you have updated it to the version that is now compatible with OS X Jaguar.



    Anyhow, do not worry, it is not going to kill your machine.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by Defiant:

    <strong>just don't shut your mac off.</strong><hr></blockquote>Christ. If I hear another solution like this, I'm likely to go postal. <img src="graemlins/oyvey.gif" border="0" alt="[No]" />



    This does NOT justify or correct the problem, especially now that people are reporting the same problem when running Virtual PC. What's the fix for that? Don't run Virtual PC?



    Anyway, I'm glad that NoahJ found the *real* source of this problem. Good job!



    [ 09-19-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
Sign In or Register to comment.