Sharing printer with PC

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
In Jaguar can I share any printer attached to my Mac with a PC running XP on my network?

If so how do I do this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by elektrobank:

<strong>In Jaguar can I share any printer attached to my Mac with a PC running XP on my network?

If so how do I do this?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Try turning Printer Sharing on in System Preferences &gt; Sharing, and then on the Windows side set up an LPR printer and give it the IP of the Mac to print to. I haven't actually tried that to see if it works, but give it a shot.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    From Jordon Hubbard of Darwin fame, as posted over at MacSlash:

I just wanted to note that this is actually fairly easy to do now that Samba has been bundled with Jaguar: 1. First go to your sharing panel in system preferences and enable Windows File Sharing. If this is the first time you've done this, you will also need to go to the accounts panel, click on your username and select "Edit user". Type your password into the "Current password" dialog and watch for the "Allow user to log in from Windows" checkbox at the bottom to become checkable. Check it off. This process, just in case you're curious, has caused the windows "hashes" of your password to be stored internally since Windows boxes don't use the same authentication methods that Unix systems do. 2. Now open Terminal.app and use your favorite text editor on /etc/smb.conf. You'll see a [printers] section which is commented out with semi-colons. Remove the semi-colons and make sure that "printable = yes" and "browsable" is set to whatever you prefer. 3. Type "sudo killall -1 smbd" to cause the Samba daemon to re-read /etc/smb.conf. Alternatively you could just reboot, but that's kind of over-kill. 4. Test the configuration by typing: "smbclient -L localhost -U yourusername" and specify your passowrd to dump a list of all the SMB shares your host is exporting. If you want to connect "anonymously" you can also leave off the -U username and simply hit return at the password prompt, but verifying that your username and password work with Samba isn't a bad idea at this point. You should see the share name of your printer with the type of "Printer" unless your printer is misconfigured under Mac OS X, in which case you need to go fix that first. 5. Now go to your Windows box and go to Settings-&gt;Printers-&gt;Add Printer and add a Network Printer, giving its Network path as \\\\yourhostname\\printersharename where yourhostname is the host name or IP address of the Jaguar box with printer attached and printersharename is the share name you saw in step 4. Now you should be able to print to your Jaguar box from Windows. Good luck! - Jordan All opinions expressed are my own and do not constitute the official opinion of Apple or bear any similarity to actual tech support, living or dead. In fact, the entire text of this message was typed by cats walking on the keyboard and their owner disavows any knowledge of their actions, etc.

-- Jordan Hubbard, Engineering Manager, BSD Technology Group Apple Computer
  • Reply 3 of 3
    ha, cats!