New iPad not selling as well as previous model in China

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.cnbc.com/id/46842158

Quote:

Demand for Apple?s new iPad in China is slower than for the tech company?s first two tablets, with the gadget?s price already falling within the first week of it reaching the market.

Unauthorised resellers in Beijing and Shanghai said they had to cut prices by close to 30 per cent over the past week because of sluggish demand. ?The market is basically saturated,? said a sales clerk at Buynow, an electronics mall in Beijing.

Consumers? lack of enthusiasm is in stark contrast to the reception given to earlier Apple products. In January, the company suspended sales of all iPhones through its own stores in China after the launch of its latest model led to a riot among black marketeers at its Beijing flagship store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    What a bizarre article. It reaches the conclusion that demand for the iPad is tepid and disappointing in China because unauthorized, grey market sellers aren't able to get their huge markups-- in a country that now has an official Apple presence and knows that there will be an official rollout shortly, with iPads offered at MRSP prices.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

What a bizarre article. It reaches the conclusion that demand for the iPad is tepid and disappointing in China because unauthorized, grey market sellers aren't able to get their huge markups-- in a country that now has an official Apple presence and knows that there will be an official rollout shortly, with iPads offered at MRSP prices.

I agree, it is odd but I thought it might be more true than it was false.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I don't think it's just China. Last year when the iPad 2 came out in Switzerland, Zurich the lines at the Apple store were around the block, this year there where no lines. Now I'm sure that doesn't mean much but most of the shops here are now offering either a free case or a 100 CHF iTunes card to try and sell their overstocked inventory. Then there are those poor bastards who are still waiting for their online orders.

The new iPad will still be the biggest selling tablet in the world but I think people aren't as excited for this new one then they where for the iPad 2.

Well after having mine for a week I think it's worth every penny and maybe more but I still want a 7.7 inch version, I don't care how unpractical you guys think it is. 7.7 is the perfect tablet size in my opinion and until Apple makes one that size, my iPad will always be my home tablet and not the one that goes with me everywhere. That honour still goes to my Samsung Galaxy 7.7, it fits perfect in my purse and the battery is an unbelievable 12 hours.

So, Apple if your reading this may I have a 7.x" iPad please, the Samsung has phone capabilities but you can leave that out if it means you wont make one.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    is this true? i think i read a similar article about this