Apple's new Verizon iPad can serve as LTE hotspot for more than 24 hours

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I can tell you that an off contract AT&T hotspot with 5GB is $50 per month. Overage is charged at $10 per GB.

It works out the same per GB as the iPad on the 3GB for $30 plan. The only difference is that you pay for 5GB up front with the hotspot.

It seems if you want a mobile hotspot device and an iPad that you're better off getting a Verizon iPad. You pay a little more over the on-contract cost of the device but you get a cellular connected iPad and no contract all for the same price per month.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    kellya74ukellya74u Posts: 171member

deleted

• Reply 23 of 34
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I have a Verizon iPad...

Next.

But obcviously don't know how to use it hence your LTE drainage in 2 hours.

Next.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Fringe use- maybe to you. I have been using it all weekend, daisychainin' friends laptops, iPads up to it. Simple web browsing does not eat up that much- this claim has been overexaggerated. It's only streaming music, videos, etc where it doesn't make sense to use LTE.

Sounds like you need to charge your friends for you of your network then - will pay for itself pretty quickly - or have them get their own and then your GB usage doesn't go through the roof.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

$30 a month gives you: ATT=3GB, Verizon 2GB

or

3GB a month costs you: ATT=$30, Verizon $40

For the $30 plan, looks like you get less hot-spotin' with Verizon.

If and when AT&T does allow hot-spotting it may even out but for now the Verizon iPad is a better choice if you want the capability to hotspot. I am actually getting rid of my Verizon Samsung hotspot because the iPad is far more robust.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Can you configure the iPad hotspot using WPA yet?

If all it can do is WEP then you're going to have people around you "helping" you use your monthly data allotment.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Can you configure the iPad hotspot using WPA yet?

If all it can do is WEP then you're going to have people around you "helping" you use your monthly data allotment.

You don't need to configure anything other than the password, and it's WPA2.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    Cue the, "the new iPad is just a big battery and it will blow through you data cap because you'll obviously want to watch HD Video 24 hours straight"
  • Reply 29 of 34
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

$30 a month gives you: ATT=3GB, Verizon 2GB

or

3GB a month costs you: ATT=$30, Verizon $40

For the $30 plan, looks like you get less hot-spotin' with Verizon.

Better less hot-spotin with Verizon than NO hot- spotin' with AT&T.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Odd: when Consumer Reports tried to test the iPad as a WiFi hotspot, it only lasted 90 minutes, and the back of the iPad reached 202°F. The screen was also bright enough to be seen from orbit. It also failed to run Android, which means it fails Consumer Reports' threshold for recommendation.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Your battery will last more than 24 hours. Your data plan will last only 2 hrs.

not if you work the plan right. Don't download tons of video etc and you'll be fine. Between that and the fact that Verizon actually has some reception in the desert where we often film, my boss got us Verizon iPads last year. This year he is thrilled that they have the same dual set up as the iPhone 4s so when we go out of the country we can use the SIM based services (even if they are on 3g that's fine since we are generally just sending email anyway)
  • Reply 32 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Odd: when Consumer Reports tried to test the iPad as a WiFi hotspot, it only lasted 90 minutes, and the back of the iPad reached 202°F. The screen was also bright enough to be seen from orbit. It also failed to run Android, which means it fails Consumer Reports' threshold for recommendation.

They recommend at least 212ºF. Boiling takes less time that way.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

You don't need to configure anything other than the password, and it's WPA2.

Thanks that's great to hear.

It makes me wonder why Internet Sharing on a Mac is still limited to WEP. I know, the Mac doesn't matter any more in Cupertino
  • Reply 34 of 34
    ogeeeogeee Posts: 1member
    Those claims were backed up Monday by independent tests conducted by the Verge, which configuring a notebook to utilize the new iPad's LTE connection, running tests that continuously cycled through web content for more than 24 hours before exhausting the battery of the iPad, which similarly had its screen turned off in addition to notifications and push email accounts.

I just want to confirm you battery that really can support you for 24 hours ,why my ipad couldn't?