Zip 100 Drive. 128 kb per second??!!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Well, I am a little confused where to put this issue because it covers all bases and since the Digital Hub has been trashed (iCal is not a digital hub software...is it?)...whatever...

Anyway...

I am using OS X 10. 1. 5, Have a Zip 100 drive (4 years old) and using Iomega's latest drivers (installed 2 months ago) connected through a hub to my iMac G3 700 w/ 768 MB RAM. When I did transfer files in OS 9 it was pretty quick and painless. Now that I'm 90% within OS X it's as slow as a snail racing on sandpaper. 128 kilobytes per second. It takes hours to transfer files now!

Why?

1. Iomega's fault? Newest drivers and see below.

2. OS X's fault? Transfers are faster in OS 9.

3. Zip disc formatting fault...I primarily am transfering files from a Windows formatted disc since the files originally come from work. And I think I noticed that Mac formatted discs move faster?

Any thoughts, advice or beratement appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    one real quick question, is this across the board or only from specific apps? i've seen where certain apps in OSX transfer painfully slow to a zip disk, where other transfers are just fine.

sounds like it's across the board in your case though. my next question would be have you tried to transfer the files with the zip drive plugged directly into your computer? going through the hub may be slowing it down. also, are there other devices on that hub that might be accessing the computer while you're transferring files? USB has issues sharing bandwidth, and if for example you were transferring from a USB zip on the hub to a USB external drive on the hub, it should be butt slow.

just a few thoughts.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    I have an internal zip250, and if I transfer files, at the beginning it's always slow, but after like 10s, it beginns to zip along...real fast.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>one real quick question, is this across the board or only from specific apps? i've seen where certain apps in OSX transfer painfully slow to a zip disk, where other transfers are just fine.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, ever since I've owned a Zip drive I've never really worked or accessed files through the Zip disc. I usually copy the files first and then work on them.

All I'm doing here is opening the Finder and dragging the files to a folder. That's it. No applications are open and nothing else on the hub is active. In fact, in OS X I will open Mail and do other tasks while moving the files and the speed doesn't really increase or decrease. It's just sloooww compared to if I was doing the same thing in OS 9.

[quote]<strong>sounds like it's across the board in your case though. my next question would be have you tried to transfer the files with the zip drive plugged directly into your computer? going through the hub may be slowing it down. also, are there other devices on that hub that might be accessing the computer while you're transferring files? USB has issues sharing bandwidth, and if for example you were transferring from a USB zip on the hub to a USB external drive on the hub, it should be butt slow.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think it is across the board and primarily the Zip Drive and discs themselves. I have had no speed or performance issues with the hub before or after moving to OS X. I still think it could be that the discs I use are Windows formatted instead of Mac formatted. I have transfered files from a Mac disc and I did see a faster transfer. Of files...

[quote]<strong>just a few thoughts.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks. I personally hate Zip discs but they are a quick and dirty way of bringing files from work home with me. I have a Windows Gateway PC there and it has the usual bullsh!t software for CD burning...have had too many issues with that so I use the Zip drive instead. Yes, I'd rather use CD's...but again...Windoze...