Help: Setting up network

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

I currently have a TiBook 800Mhz and a Powermac G4 AGP 400Mhz model! I am using only OSX.2 On my Tibook and currently only OS9.2.1 on my G4 as I do all some web design on the G4.

I would like to network between my TiBook andG4

My questions are as follows:

1) I want to network the two computers to share files ( Doesnt need to always be connected, just sometimes)

2) The powerbook is set up using Airport to acess my DSL and talk to my mums iMac g4, Can I share the internet from my TiBook to my G4?

-G4 doesnt have airport and wont as the slot is buggered!

-Once again doesnt need to be a constant connection just sometimes

I have a cross over cable! Are those things I want to do possible or not? Any *Genius* help would be great!

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    10.2 has built in internet sharing. You could think of installing 10.2 on the Powerbook and make things easier...anyway here goes for you current setup:

Internet sharing and wiring:

-Get ipNetRouter or some such OS compatible router software.

-Use crossover to connect the ethernet ports on each machine.

-setup ipNetRouter to share it's internet connection, and configure G4 to use the porvided connection.

Done. The TiBook is acting as a bridge between your 2 box network and the 3 box airport network you have going with your mom. Some one with more knowledge may be able to explain if and how it would be possible to get the G4 to be assigned an ip from the airport router directly, (through the crossover to the ToBook) eliminating the need for ipNetRouter. I haven't ever tried 'daisy chaining' an ip network and am unsure if it would work.

File Sharing:

-Turn on appleTalk file sharing on both boxes.

(in System prefs on 10.2 I think under network panel, sharing tab. And in 9.2 under Apple menu, contol panels, appletalk.

-In OS9, goto chooser and select your G4.

-In 10.2, goto Go menu, Connect to, and select your ToBook.

-Done, Share files

Hope this ramble helped

[quote]Originally posted by trevorM:

<strong>Hello,

I currently have a TiBook 800Mhz and a Powermac G4 AGP 400Mhz model! I am using only OSX.2 On my Tibook and currently only OS9.2.1 on my G4 as I do all some web design on the G4.

I would like to network between my TiBook andG4

My questions are as follows:

1) I want to network the two computers to share files ( Doesnt need to always be connected, just sometimes)

2) The powerbook is set up using Airport to acess my DSL and talk to my mums iMac g4, Can I share the internet from my TiBook to my G4?

-G4 doesnt have airport and wont as the slot is buggered!

-Once again doesnt need to be a constant connection just sometimes

I have a cross over cable! Are those things I want to do possible or not? Any *Genius* help would be great!

Thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>